Sign in to follow this  

con-rod and crank ass'y

I see I'm not the only one who is in this position (and doing a search we are not the only ones in history). I have been chasing a stalling problem for a while now and it turns out to be the big end connecting rod bearing. "imcrackhead" has same problem. What is the solution? The crank is pressed together and has to come out for repair/replacement. Is it better to replace or repair. If replace, where do you recommend getting the parts? What parts do we need (for either repair or replace)? I have engine out and head/jug and sides off. Crankcase itself still together. Did a search but only found a few results and no firm recommendations. Any help or insight you can provide would be appreciated by myself and other in this boat. :thumbsup:

When my bike went boom at high rpm's it not only bent the rod but also twisted it. I added up the price of new rod, bearing, and crank pin and decided that for the few extra bucks I'd feel better just replacing the whole crank. For a less involved incident I had someone split the crank and just replace the parts necessary.

You might want to ask a local shop who they use, not many have the tools/experience to do the job in house.

Stock is the only option, well affordable option that is, that I found for parts.

I'm broke. Will do repair or replacement using stock parts. Not going aftermarket. How many km or miles do you have? I have 20000km, about 12000miles

Well I know who could definitely do the crank work. But Ed's price on a whole crank is a good price.

By the time you pay to ship it, pay the labor to split the crank and for new bearing and rod you almost will be there anyways.

The rod/pin/bearing for a DRZ400 costs (discounted) about $68./$31./$29., and it would be at least another $100 for shipping and labor to take the crank apart and re-assemble with the new parts. A new OEM crank is about $330., so that price above is a very good deal. The link is here, there may be others even cheaper. I would strongly consider doing the 2 ball bearings on each end of the crank as well, they are about 30. each. http://www.babbittsonline.com/suzukiparts/suzuki_motorcycle_parts.html

Bob

Make sure you really clean out the bottom end and replace any questionable bearings. And yes I agree with Bob on replacing at least the crank bearings at this time.

Eddie-PM sent

will have local engine builder I trust do final dis-ass'y, clean up, inspection and install. Will do bearings and anything else he recommends after checking it out.

Thanks all for your help.