Sign in to follow this  

Dynojet Stage 1 vs. Stage 2

How much more to you gain going from Stage 1 Dynojet mod to Stage 2?

What does Stage 1 do to your gas mileage?

I rode with another DR with Stage 2 mod and smaller CS sprocket on Sat. My DR is bone stock. I got 54 mpg, he got 37 mpg. Power difference between the two was noticeable but not "earth shattering", and my bike has stock gearing. I think that with my stock carb settings and a smaller CS sproket, the difference between mine and his would be minimal. Dynojet chart indicates about 6.5% increase over stock but doesn't indicate Stage 1 or 2 on the dyno.

I just put the stage 2 on my 2000 today, in the instructions that come with it in the DJ box, it states that the stage 1 does not apply to the 96 and up model. Also, if you plan to buy the DJ kit, order from Jesse. www.kientech.com. Great service and any DR advice you need he will likely be able to provide. Get the allen key style carb screws because the stock ones will be destroyed by the time you get them out. The extended fuel screw is also a nice touch.

A little trick - use vice grips to remove the bowl screws, not a screwdriver.

I have the Kit from Jesse, I'm just trying to decide if the trade off of fuel mileage for power is worth it.

I did end up using vice grips. The screws still should not be used again IMO, for $1.50 you can be problem free so why not.

Yes, the DJ kit - Stage 2 is worth it. As stated, get the Allen head screws and replace all the Phillips head screws. At .75 each, worth the money spent. As for the big difference in MPG, would it be that your buddy has more fun with the new jetting and thus, twists the throttle a bit more? I have an 2006 as well, MPG has not gone down as much, just happy to have a bike that performs well.

Here is what I've done to mine so far...

1. K&N air filter.

2. Opened up the air box per Jesse's web page.

3. Installed the DJ stage 2 kit (I am at 5000 feet MSL - 150 main jet, needle at #3, mixture screw at 2 turns).

4. Drilled out the carb slide per Jesse's web page as well.

5. Replaced the horrible Phillips heads screws (Had to put the carb in a plastic bag and then into the freezer for about 30 minutes. Screws came right out with needle nose vise grips).

6. Installed a Two Brother exhaust (see thread on 2 Brothers Exhaust - Bad experience). I would suggest you go with the FMF Q2 exhaust from Jesse's.

If you decide to do what I've done, you won't regret it. :thumbsup:

Good Luck!

DZSO

My bike has mostly the same mods as DZSO. I get 48 ish running side roads like I stole the bike (with a 170 DJ). I got the same mileage with the 15 tooth as I get now with the 16 tooth. I have never gotten worse than 45. I think the 14 tooth will cost you more mileage than the mods. Mine was bone stock when I bought it and still only got 50mpg. My numbers are over a lot of tanks, not just one fill up. I think the mods are well worth the small drop in MPG, gets way more FPM now (Fun Per Mile)

You guys were lucky to get the carb bowl screws out with vise grips. I had to drill into them and then use an EZ-out. :applause::ride::thumbsup: