Sign in to follow this  

Tire sizes explained?

Could someone give this newbie a brief primer on how these bike tire sizes work? What sizes should I be looking for if I do NOT want to raise the seat height anymore, or perhaps even get it down a bit?

My bike will probably end up being about 50/ 50 on road/off road. Looking for excellent traction road tires with long wear but also reliable in dirt/mud and generally moderate off road trail riding. Right now I'd say my top choices for replacing the deathwings on my new bike ('03) are:

1) Maxxis 6006

2) Trackmaster 2

3) Dunlop 606

Lets say you get a 110/100-18. The first number (110) is the width of the tire. The second number (100) means 100% of the width = the height. Then 18 is just the rim size. So a 110/90-18 will have a shorter sidewall then a 110/100-18 and so on. Hope this helps a bit

Lets say you get a 110/100-18. The first number (110) is the width of the tire. The second number (100) means 100% of the width = the height. Then 18 is just the rim size. So a 110/90-18 will have a shorter sidewall then a 110/100-18 and so on. Hope this helps a bit

I believe that is right on. I think they are also measured in millimeters. There are 25.4mm per 1 inch. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup::ride::applause::applause:

perfect explanation.

sizes are in millimetres except rim diameter.

there is a tire conversion chart attached to the tt store home page that will explain how this system converts to the other 2 or 3 systems used (ex. 3.00-21 is about 90/90-21)

In my opinion you are looking for the impossible. If you go with "excellent traction road tires" they will be like the OEM tires. To be "reliable in dirt/mud" especially mud, you need full aggressive knobbies that will not give you excellent traction on pavement with long wear.

You have to choose which is more important to you - street or dirt - and live with the compromise. The choices you list are fine if you lean to the dirt side. Between the 3 you list, I would go with Dunlop.

What about a Teraflex on the back- great off road and as good on road as any other knobbie out there. Last a long time too.

They can be wore down to the nothing in the center and still work great off road.

BJ

thats a perfect explanation to give to a newbie.