Sign in to follow this  

2000 SM 610 question

I am totally new to the SM world. I am looking at a 00 SM610. It has 14k give or take a few miles. What can I expect out of this bike. It will be my new commuter to work during the week and the mountains on the weekend. What is the going fair price. Bike is in great shape. Just looking for some friendly advice. I have been on a big cruiser for a while and it is time to start really riding again. Thanks

I'm no expert, but if I was buying a 610 with that mileage I would want to see the maintenance records, and when the last time a top end rebuild had been done. See if you can do a compression/leakdown/test ride before buying if possible...

Generally with any used bike, pop the seat and check the air filter. If its dirty, it can be an indication of how well the owner has taken care of it...

Maybe some 610 owners will chime in with any particular problems with that model year...

I bought a 2000 610 with about 4,000 km on it last year and I ride it almost every day. It's a great commuter and unreal in the twisties. I had a few problems to begin with due to the previous owner or mechanic. A screw head on the rocker box broke off and it just didn't run as sharp as I thought it should. After a few miles and a few adjustments it was up to snuff. I do all my own maintenance and haven't been too happy with the quality of other mechanics work on any of my bikes. I've found that if you want it done right and you really want to know exactly whats been done do it yourself. By the time you transport your bike to the dealer and do all the thing that go with all of that you could have done it yourself and even put on a few miles to boot. Look to see if the exhaust tip ash is light not color but consistency and not oily. Smell the oil to see if it smells burned. other than that just check it out very closely to see if you can find any little clues of poor maintenance. If you don't find much go for it. mine has 28000 km on it now and has been trouble free. Records may be important but check it out because records aren't everything. Do a complete check up on it even if it's just been done to reassure yourself that everything is done right. Get a service manual first off.