Sign in to follow this  

05 MZ Black Panther..

Just bought a 05 MZ Black Panther. Haven't picked it up yet :-(

Should have it on Sunday.

My first Motard as I have been riding a 2001 CBR1100XX for the past 5 years.

In fact riding to Pennsyvania in three weeks from So. Florida on the Blackbird.

Can anyone tell me anything about my decision to pick up the MZ 660 ?

If you bought it for the right amount it should be a great bike......

You lucky Dawg!

I have been drooling over that hyper bike for years but got a deal not to pass up on a zuki...

I bet your gunna luv it! :thumbsup:

I had an '03. FUN bike! Tops out right at 100mph, really soft rev-limiter short shiftng a must. Is yours reduced height or regular? Good luck w/ the seat! If they still put the archaic battery in it swap it for a good sealed gel one right away. Is Florida still home of the importer? Here in CA. not much support/knowledge on MZ. Nobody knows what the heck it is, which is why I bought it. BUT... I put about 500mi. a week on my bike commuting, so it was evntually gonna need sumthin and I didn't want the hassle of trying to get it fixed at any of the moronic dealers around here. I took it in once and they looked at it like it was from outer space or something! It did draw a crowd in the service dept. though! I kinda wish I'd never sold it :thumbsup: You can go to mzriders.com for more info.

The MZ is probably a pretty cool street bike. A little heavy comparied to racing supermotos, but should be nice on the road. Not as hard edged but a little more reliable and comfortable go a long way as a street bike.

Bucho, true dat. Because it is a "softly" tuned old school type air/oil cooled motor it is much better as a street/everyday rider than the more modern harder edge bikes. Much less maintenance per mile! I did take mine to Apex once. Scott from SMR mag. was there and checked it out. Said it needed better tires and was probably pretty heavy. It actually wasn't that bad. The stock Pirelli tires were the biggest drawback. The front brake, while excellent on the street, faded to nothing (literally) on the track. When I came off the little jump off of the dirt section onto the straight the landing knocked the pistons back into the calipers and when I went to brake for the corner there was nothing (literally)! The weight didn't really bother me and because the power is so mellow I could really get on it. Sticky tires, high temp. brake fluid, and stiffer suspension would make it a real blast! Maybe not really competetive, but a blast to take on practice days or even race for fun and who knows...

I have three MZ Skorpion 660s, one street bike I bought had 108,000 miles, runs great and has never been apart.

I am rebuilding a roadrace engine. New HotCranks crankshaft, rods and bearings assy $254.00, top end parts are 01 to 04 Raptor and interchangable. I wouldn't worry about repairs unless you crash.

It appears the new European Yamaha XT660 is the same engine also, so parts for the engine are nearly assured.

The water and radiator might put the bike out of the old school air/oil cooled category.

Enjoy the machine and keep the rubber side down.

Edit: the right end of the Raptor crankshaft is shorter and 1mm smaller diameter at the starter one way clutch assy, and the taper for the ignition rotor is also 1mm smaller in diameter. Beware, neither the starter or rotor can be used, and the Raptor rotor is smaller and doesn't have proper timing protrusions. I guarantee you will lose your starter and charging capability plus have major work to set up an ignition trigger system.