Sign in to follow this  

How Often Do You Change Oil/Oil Filter?

I have 06 KTM 250SXF. I was thinking of changing the bike's oil and oil filter every 2-3 hours off the hour meter. How often are you changing yours? :thumbsup:

when it looks dirty....it synthetic, will last a long time. I do it every 10 or so days riding regardless of the hours.

you don't need to change your oil that much!! its a waste

go 10hours

i do 4 rides on my oil and the oil filter every 3rd time

I wouldn't like to own that bike after you, man 10 hours :ride:

These are performance motors after all I think I'll do it every three then :thumbsup:

Guess it's a question of how hard you work the motor. Since I ride a 525 in East Coast trails, I'm not pushing the motor that hard, and 10 hour intervals works for me. If you're racing, or running a smaller motor, a change after every event is probably cheap insurance. A quart of oil doesn't coast that much. However, I don't see much sense in changing the filter that often though. If it's getting clogged up that fast, something major has already happened in the motor.

Every three hours!!! Do you change it in the middle of a ride too. Where do you carry the oil?

todays synthetic oils and lubes are designed for high temps and long term wear. I dont know anyone that has had a failure due to not changing the oil every 3 or even 10 hours. It is a good marketing campain however but I am sure that KTM, Honda etc. have no interest in the lube and oil companies and vice versa....

My last change I am sure had more than 10 hours, didnt have a choice really, and guess what it looked just like the new stuff I put in....dam

At every three hours your just falling for the hype and getting robbed.

I ride/race tracks only. Not like enduros where I am out for hours at a time. Like a race time all together is only an hour. I do more time when i'm practicing I get like 5 moto's then in a day instead of three moto's (20mins) when I am racing.

My Husky shifts better after each oil change. If you pay close attention you can notice when you oil is deteriorating. Keep in mind this oil gets chopped up pretty bad by the transmission. I change every 10 hours or less.

Any synthetic oil, wont break down. It is the contamination that gets in the oil, and that is why you ahve to change it. If you keep your air filter very clean, and fresh oil filters...you should be good for about 10-12 hours. It really doesn't matter that these are high performance engines...the synthetic oil won't break down. I have had times where I will change my oil at 10 hours and it comes out looking like new, and then some times it comes out looking like I put 15 hours on it.

You should all check out some UOA's of your favorite oil. You might be surprised how quickly the transmission will shear them out of grade. Some very good oils were reported to be shot in less than 5 hours (yes, synthetics included), although they look new. You might also want to consider a re-usable stainless filter like a Scotts. That way you can clean the filter with every change.

I use Rotella T 15w40 dino and change it, and clean the filter, every day or weekend I ride. That equates to 12 hours at most (on a D/S weekend), but usually less than 5 hours, and it always comes out looking new. Total cost is about $3 per oil change. Cheap insurance for sure.

10-15 hours with changing the filters every other time.

Any synthetic oil, wont break down. It is the contamination that gets in the oil, and that is why you ahve to change it. If you keep your air filter very clean, and fresh oil filters...you should be good for about 10-12 hours. It really doesn't matter that these are high performance engines...the synthetic oil won't break down. I have had times where I will change my oil at 10 hours and it comes out looking like new, and then some times it comes out looking like I put 15 hours on it.

if I go out for a few days, 10 hours can be nothing, maybe I should change it while im out there but geez I want to have fun and drink etc. Maybe change out that filters real quick or the stainless is the idea.

This is good info however.

I change my oil after every race. I race enduros (70-100 miles/5-7hours) and hare scrambles (40-50 miles/2.5 hours).

Between races, I usually go riding a couple times(2 hours minimum each ride). I'll change the oil after each ride as well. I sell my used oil to a farm boy that i work with; helps me get some of the cost back and he uses it in his farm equipment/derby cars

I clean the oil screens and magnetic drain bolts with every oil change. I'm there, why not.

I change the oil filter with every other oil change.

I clean my air filter every time I ride, and totally replace it after 20 hours.

I drain my carb, gas tank and gas can after every ride. My truck feels like a kid in a candy store come monday morning after a ride.

I use motorex valve guard in the bikes fuel.

I don't care if people think I'm wasting money, My engines are spotless on the inside and thats what matters the most. I'm anal about maintence and a firm believer in "you get out what you put in" If spending a little extra to keep my engines clean saves me even a little money and a possible big headache, then its worth it.

todays synthetic oils and lubes are designed for high temps and long term wear. I dont know anyone that has had a failure due to not changing the oil every 3 or even 10 hours. It is a good marketing campain however but I am sure that KTM, Honda etc. have no interest in the lube and oil companies and vice versa....

My last change I am sure had more than 10 hours, didnt have a choice really, and guess what it looked just like the new stuff I put in....dam

At every three hours your just falling for the hype and getting robbed.

I agree 100% I know its not a KTM but my CRFX I go way more then 10 hours usually without changing oil and filters and my bike is still going strong I think its got about or more then 200 hours on it (original valves rings and piston) :thumbsup:

I have been riding off and on for 30 years. Never really agressive riding, but putting hours on the bikes. I have always changed the oil between 5 and 10 hours with great luck. My dad has never changed the oil in any dirt bike he has ever owned. He has also never changed an air filter, or done any maintenance whatsoever. His bikes have never let him down, but I think an oil change is really inexpensive, and is not hard to do. If you have the time change it often, but dont stop having fun to run back to camp and change your oil and filter.

On my 525 I change the oil every 20-30 hours and the filter at the same time. The oil looks new coming out and the bike runs great with no problems. I am not racing so maybe there is a differnece there.