Sign in to follow this  

Tire stands for changing tires?

I saw a thread a while back about tire stands. I tried to search but couldn't find it.

SO how many here have a dedicated stand to change their tires and what kind do you have?

I know it's not a necessity but I'd like to see what you all recommned besides the ground.

i built a wooden stool about mid-leg height in shop class.. im 5'7.. its great for everything.. sitting on it while working on the bike.. and i just changed my tire a few days ago.. and the stool worked perfectly..

I have used my brother-in-laws stand would deffinately recomend way easier.In fact I am trying to come up with the 140$ to buy my own or go in on one with a buddy of mine.

That MRP stand is Trick!! Looks a little more stable than my 2 milk crates stacked that I use. That stand is a bit pricey though.... You could make one for cheap if you have access to a welder and some steel.

If you can, find a 10-15 gallon grease drum and dump a bag of ready mix into the bottom. The height is about right and the open end is about the same as a five gallon bucket, works great and its cheap.

I bought the tusk receiver hitch tire changer. I works pretty good and is cheap.

I got sick of paying and waiting and driving to have tires changed and mounted. Plus every time I went the price seemed to creep up. Not only that, if you find a good price online for tires you might end up paying even more to have them mounted if you didn't buy it from the stinkin shop who mounts it for you. I finally said enough and ordered an MRP stand. I've probably changed ten tires now in the past six months and can't believe how simple it is. The stand will pay for itself in no time.

I always have just set the wheel and tire on top of another tire. Its just enough space to keep the sprocket and disc off the ground. Plus is cheap. Only bad thing is it kinda keeps you bent over alot.

To find the old threads on this, just do a search on the word stand in the title in the General forum. You'll get lots of hits. Here's one example

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260939

I really like my stand from Mike's Racing Products. The leverage that you can get with it is just right. For me, it's a big improvement over my old bucket stand days. :thumbsup:

I've got the MRP stand and love it. You will not be sorry if you get one.

I use an oil barrel I got free from a local oil change place. I lined the rim with automotive heater hose and it works great. I'd love to have an MRP stand, but they're too pricey. My barrel works nicely and doubles as a trash can.