Sign in to follow this  

blackout in 400E city

So I'm in an enduro and on my 2003 DRZ400E, and being old and slow I pull over to let a rider go by. I'm centered on a fern, and as I let out the clutch to pull off it, I stall the bike--and then I'm done. No electrics at all, and no kicker, of course, AND, I'm downhill both ways. Might've been that tree I hit at mile 4....

Now, it'll start, but only push-start, and only with the key on. But I have no lights, no horn, nothing--voltmeter says no power up front at all. It's not like I know what I'm doing, though. Battery's good, and I have voltage up to one side of the regulator, but that's about as far as I know how to go.

Anyone know what/where to check, or what might be wrong?

Did you check the fuse?

Clutch interlock switch disabled?

Like stated previously, check the main fuse above the battery in the little holder. I had the same thing happen to me after it got shorted. There's even a spare in there!

Oh my god. I have all the side panels off, the tank, and the entire Baja Designs assembly off/apart, and after y'all said check the fuse, there it was. Inserted the happy little spare, and of course it fired right up. Thank you, thank you, thank you both for responding to this thread.

You might want to step-up to a 15A fuse if you've got the Baja kit. I know mine was going through the 10A stockers fairly often and replacing it with a 15A did away with all my problems. Plus it's a low enough value that if there is a short it will still blow very quickly. That and for my spare I carry the next size up (20A) just incase I really need to get out of the woods. I once blew two 10A ones and ended-up putting a staple from the seat pan in there to get home :thumbsup:

Grant

Careful with putting fuses in of higher value, they are there to protect you and your wiring from potential fire.

That said I have heard of the bd kit needing/using a 15A fuse instead of the 10A.

So I'm in an enduro and on my 2003 DRZ400E, and being old and slow I pull over to let a rider go by. I'm centered on a fern, and as I let out the clutch to pull off it, I stall the bike--and then I'm done. No electrics at all, and no kicker, of course, AND, I'm downhill both ways. Might've been that tree I hit at mile 4....

Now, it'll start, but only push-start, and only with the key on. But I have no lights, no horn, nothing--voltmeter says no power up front at all. It's not like I know what I'm doing, though. Battery's good, and I have voltage up to one side of the regulator, but that's about as far as I know how to go.

Anyone know what/where to check, or what might be wrong?

Been there.....you mentioned the Baja Kit.....Did the EXACT same thing to me...after I had a very light bump with a tree.

Check you horn....did it get dented even a little bit? My horn got dented and grounded the entire system. Disconnected everything in the front, replaced the fuse and it fired right up.

When in the woods, I now do not use the DOT front set-up. :thumbsup: Also, I keep 4 extra fuses (besides the 1 extra) duct taped to the air box door/panel. :applause::ride:

Good advice. I've not been real happy with the BD system, and in fact designed my own switch because the BD one just wouldn't hold up, and, I replaced the rear light's guts because it's not (in my opinion) very robust.

Listening to you-all, I'm gonna get the 15 amp fuses AND carry extras AND disconnect all the stuff when I'm off-road, which is most of the time. Many thanks once again...

My little rubber mount for the turn signals broke (again) and that's what led to my short, a long long way from home and lots of bump starting later I discovered the fuse. DOH!