Stuck In Corners... Need Some Advice

Up to this point I have been making huge progress with my riding/racing skills. It seems now that I am just stuck in a groove and need to work through it somehow. In the corners, no matter the terrain I have this "mental thing" where I keep chopping the throttle and messing up my exit speed. I have been working on my entry speed, trying to brake late and stay a whole gear higher through the entire corner... then about mid way through I seem to chop the throttle. This is a real problem since soon as you chop the throttle when laying the bike down hard in the berm, alot of speed is lost, along with control.

I have also been training myself to look further up through the corner and that has helped, but not cured this problem. I have also found that not using the rear brake as hard on the entry helps maintain the control much better. What do I need to do to break this bad habit of chopping the throttle or backing off? I think mostly its that I'm not entirely used to this kind of speed in corners, but with the more seat time and practice here I am still stuck in this rut.. Any advice is greatly appreciated as I will be racing my first Expert race later this month. I really need to step it up with full commitment in the corners to run with these guys. Thanks.... P.S there are some cornering pics in my garage if you think you can make suggestions on positioning etc.

Try cornering without braking or accelerating, come in at a steady speed and keep that speed around the entire corner and just keep working on one corner at a time going faster each time. Thats what I have been doing lately and its helping but its tought to start linking them together. gotta keep practicing thats all. I feel wierd giving advice to someone in the expert class though. Im in c right now probably b next year.

If I want to corner at a steady comfortable pace I have no problem.... Its just trying to step it up to the next level. Now I'm trying to corner much more aggressive and its slowing me down more than its speeding me up! I come flying in, lay the bike down hard and pin it.... then scare myself and back off!! I need to get past this somehow... I guess I will have to just keep falling off and hopefully reep the benefits without getting broken bones!

Maybe you are coming in too fast and the rough transition from braking to accelerating at the apex is killing your exit speed. Sometimes, when I come into a corner too fast, I'll slam against a small section of the berm near the apex to slow down. The entrance is faster this way, but I've lost time to riders who enter a little slower and accelerate harder through the apex.

I'm not sure but I think the problem might be that your giving too much throttle at the

point where you lay the bike down. From the Semics videos I've seen you want to have a smooth and constant throttle through the turn, not blip it or reef on it mid turn.

Like I said I'm not sure, I have trouble with this too, but it's something I'm always trying to work on (among other things)

on a 450 u dont want to just pin it u want to try and get the best traction by rolling the throttle on and using the clutch even when u look at ricky and james in a lot of corners they dont just pin it and hang on for dear life they roll the throttle on and get excellent traction

hope this helps

I was out today practicing corners and think I have it nailed down! Well sort of, still need to work on it but I felt much faster today. I tried slowing down my entry speed just a tad, and maintain a steady fast pace through the corner. Soon as I slowed up the entry a little, I didn't have to chop the throttle to contol the bike anymore. I think I was coming into the corners too hot and aggressive.... so slowing up the entry a bit helped me set up better. Now that I was better formed in the corners it allowed me to really hammer the gas in the last quarter of the berm since the bike was planted straight and more under control. Now I just have to apply this to every corner and every track! Thats the tough part.... more practice for me! Thanks for the tips ?