Sign in to follow this  

We'll be in San Felipe on 9/23... Riding from Tecate

Not sure if anyone else will be in the area....

But we'll be riding down to San Felipe on Friday to spend the night (9/22 and 9/23) to ride home on Sunday. Taking some kind of ride out of Felipe for a half day on Saturday (9/23) while we're down there.

Anyone in the area... let us know, we can hook up and do some riding!

:thumbsup:

Who's we? :thumbsup:

Jeremy McGrath, Broc Glover, Mouse McCoy, Twitch Steinberg....

ahhh, just kidding... :applause:

Some friends and I.

Why? Does it matter? :applause:

:ride:

GF on her quad? :thumbsup:

Not this one Steny...

Co-Piloting I believe in the chase truck. Operating the SAT phone, and keeping the ice cold. :applause:

keeping the ice cold

Your girlfriend would melt ice in Antartica bro, might want to find another job for her on this trip.

:applause:

.... Oh, I've got 'other jobs' for her! :ride:

..and thanks Brian, I too think she's 'above and beyond' in all aspects. :thumbsup:

kinda matters cuz i was looking for a slower paced group g/f wants to go on her bike

i think you may have started something with your last trip I was just showing my g/f your trip pics and now she wants to go

:thumbsup::ride::applause:

kinda matters cuz i was looking for a slower paced group g/f wants to go on her bike

i think you may have started something with your last trip I was just showing my g/f your trip pics and now she wants to go

:thumbsup::ride::applause:

:applause: me, start something?! hahaha...

This will definitely be a "quick paced" ride as we're doing 240 +/- miles in a day. There won't be too much 'cruising' on this one. Your welcome to come along and bring a chase vehicle (with a driver :applause:) who can meet you half way to releave the distance. That would be either in Independencia, or later in Valle De Trinidad depending on how everyone is doing.

... it definitely won't be a 'slower pace' this time around.

...as an example;

My GF rides pretty good, pretty fast and without a whimper. However, being this is such a long trek, and the pace... I've asked her to sit the 'ride' out and take care of the chase needs.

hmm 240 miles. how long of a day? I don't want to hold you up what is the terrain dirt road,jeep trail half paved?????? or better yet do you have your route?

never mind 240 miles is out of my league

I'll check my calender at home tomorrow after I fly in. I'm off that weekend on my work calender. I would probably want to do it on my Honda 400EX Baja rig. We would be leaving by 8 am from Veronica, correct? That way I could be in SF by 3-3:30 pm with just 2 stops for fuel. You going thru the sawmill or straight down to Valle T without stopping? I'm good either way, 140 mile range on my 400 while riding Baja. Geared up with pipe and air cleaner. I'll get back with you Johnny.

I'm thinking of doing an over niter this coming Sunday or Monday to Mikes and back. Nice ride to make without a chase truck or friends. Just me and Baja. Yeah baby! Steny :thumbsup:

No worries Steny....

Route on Friday 9/22 - in a nut shell;

Leave Rancho Ojai (800-830am) - old KOA

Chase truck leaves down the 3, to 1, to Ensenada (stops in Ensenada).

We head to RSV, and then to Saw Mill

At Saw Mill, we call truck and give'em the :thumbsup:

Chase truck continues on to Trinidad. Not stopping at Ojos or Independencia.

We continue on from Saw Mill to Trinidad.

We meet up with chase truck at Trinidad. (usually chase beats us there)

Then head out again, via San Matias wash, dry lake, and to San Felipe

Meeting the truck's occupants at Bar Miramar (before the hotel!)

Saturday is spent ... resting and relaxing with a ride to the great cactus's or wherever our heart desires. Shhooot, maybe I'll sleep in with my GF! :applause:

Same route back on Sunday - in a nutshell.

hmm 240 miles. how long of a day? I don't want to hold you up what is the terrain dirt road,jeep trail half paved?????? or better yet do you have your route?

never mind 240 miles is out of my league

Duece, if you start from Veronica and went down the main fire road, the mileage is much shorter, but certainly not as scenic. The last time we did it, it put us almost exactly at 170 miles where Zoo Rd hits Mex 5. The downside was the 60 or so miles of pavement which was painful, but got margarita in hand much sooner.

OUTER... your correct.

There are shorter versions, and much 'easier' routes to take if you so desire. However, then... your on your own 100% as we'll be on our designated route that I upload (to the other rider's personal GPS's if they have them). We also ride with 2 way radios to aid in diversions such as oncoming traffic...etc.

... but back to your comment, I take the 'long' way over the mountains as it's much more fun and scenic (as you mentioned) than a long graded fire road with nothing to do but sit, and drone. Then... long rides on the noisy, windy highway are also what I can't stand... and I avoid them at all costs too.

... but we're not all out there for the fast paced exhilaration Baja brings I guess. Some don't like to sacrifice safety either, and the roads I'm on are much more dangerous (due to limitations on seeing around corners, and the rest Baja has to offer like washouts or animals...etc) than the graded roads and highways available.

... which makes me think ... Steny, if you do come... we'll need to make sure there's another quad with ya. I take some small track (not necessarily single anymore) up to Hanson from RSV and I'd have to meet ya up at Ramonas. If it's just you... I'll bypass it and take Jeep trail.

... but back to your comment, I take the 'long' way over the mountains as it's much more fun and scenic (as you mentioned) than a long graded fire road with nothing to do but sit, and drone. Then... long rides on the noisy, windy highway are also what I can't stand... and I avoid them at all costs too.

Concur 100%. It's more of a route for hanging too late in Felipe on departure day. Incidentally, is there a day of the week at Ramona's where you've found that gas is not available or the place is closed down?

So the chase truck will always pretty much be on paved road? I'm thinking of having my girl follow your excur. so we (Quang & Jimmy) can have our own little chase truck.

Incidentally, is there a day of the week at Ramona's where you've found that gas is not available or the place is closed down?

MONDAYS!!!

I've ridden up from San Felipe... thinking, "Man, I'm low on gas and ...." UH OH, rope across her driveway... nobody home!!

It's the only day there was nobody there. Hence I avoid Mondays via the Saw Mill. :ride: