Sign in to follow this  

Should I Get A YZ 250???

Hi,

Need some help.. Now ride a 02 YZF426. Like the power, but a bit heavy and doesn't like to turn.. Thought about getting a 02 (has to be green sticker in CA) YZF250. Like the handling and weight (having ridden one), but I know I will miss the punch.

Found a 01 YZ 250 at a good price.. Should I get it? Been many years since I rode a two stroke.. What can I expect from the YZ? Will it is be really peaky? Hard to trail ride?

I am a decent intermeidate rider - riding both trails and tracks. Used to race a bit 20 years ago.. 6'2" 210 pounds..

Any help is greatly appreciated..

Thx,

Brian

Gear it down a bit and get a flywheel weight and its perfect. I ride a yz250 and it is light and nimble on those tight trails!

get it, it will be one of the smartest things you ever do.

Ya, I love my '01 YZ250 - it is mostly my woods weapon - perfect for woods/desert singletrack etc.... Turns great, very nimble, excellent suspension (for an '01 - I cant find anything to complain about), super light, nice and snappy, but controllable right outta the box - Mine's pretty much all stock, so no mods really needed! I'm thinkin' of trying an FMF Gnarly pipe, but otherwise, I plan on riding/racing this bike just the way she is - Also perfect for tight technical Supercross style tracks - you'll be very happy w/it I think!

Where do you ride?

If you ride the desert then fuhgetaboudit. I just got a 250 smoker and love it, but I ride 90% woods with the occasional desert romp and I still got the 426 for that. The 250 is not geared for the wide open spaces and wont pull 14/47 gearing like a big thumper will.

These YZ's can keep up with the 450s if you know how to ride them. They are very light and can turn on a dime. Its perfect stock to ride track or trail with no modifications. I race mine in the trails and have no problems at all. All i did was put handgaurds on it and its race ready. Dont believe the hype about changing the gearing, its fine.

Thanks for the info.. Really leaning towards the 2 stroke. Know it will handle better than my 426 and there are no deserts here in Nor Cal (Bay Area). Just trails up in the mountains and some local tracks.

Use my 426s grunt out of corners to motor away with little wheelspin from the two strokes, and just afraid I will lose that with the YZ.

I'll make it up on jumps though where my 426 feels like an uncontrollable brick in the air.. I know some guys have learned how to do it on that bike, but my nose drops and I just don't feel comfortable jumping that thing. Never have.

Thanks again for the help.

Since you ride moto and woods...... the 250 doesn't just handle better, it handles worlds better. You'll probably never ride the 426 again.

You'll get accustomed to the power delivery of the 250, but it doesn't quite have the grunt and tractability of the 426. For a 2-stroke though the motor is magic and has loads of bottom end. My ONLY complaint is the detonation I'm getting at 1/3 throttle running pump gas, but I think some jetting changes will cure that.

I have an '01. It is beyond a doubt the most reliable/durable bike I've ever had (that's why I still have it). Yamaha builds one helluva good 250.

I've gone full circle. In the last five years I went from an '01 YZ 250, to an '01 YZ 426, to an '02 YZ250F, then back to an '02 YZ426, and NOW I'm considering going BACK to a 250F or 250 2-stroke. The '01 YZ 250 was one HELL of a machine, handled great, lightweight, GREAT power, reliable, no valve maintenance, etc. But after a year, I was unfaithfull and I fell in love with the tractable power and grunt of the 426 and traded a guy my 250 for a 426. Then, a couple years later, I was seduced by the lighwieght, great handling, grunt of a 250F....it was a 426 on a small scale, but lighter and better handling. After awhile on the petite 250F I missed the big bore power of the 'ol 426 (especially out in the dez), and I picked up another 426 ('02). Well, the 426 has been a GREAT bike, extremely reliable, have not had to adjust valves or anything, just change oil/filters, gas n' go. Friggin great bike.....BUT.....the weight has become an issue again and I'm having a hard time overlooking the fact that a 250 (4 or 2stroke) is just an easier to ride, better bike overall for me. Lighter, better handling, more nimble, less tiring. I will probably end up on the 4-stroke.....unless I find a smoking deal on an '01-'02 2-stroke (want the green sticker too). Good luck, the '01 YZ 250 is a great bike, you won't be disappointed. :thumbsup:

Well Hot Rod, you are extremely qualified to comment on my dilemma. :ride:

Sounds like you are staying with the 250F. Can you give me a bit more on the difference between the YZ250F and YZ250? Seems the YZ would have gobs more power than the 250F with the same/better handling. But you have reasons to stay with the 4 stroke. :thumbsup:

Thanks,

Brian

Need some help..

Any help is greatly appreciated..

Thx,

Brian

The 01 YZ250 is still a very good bike that is reliable and fast. If you can find a good one at a fair price then you could do much worse than buying it.

It is not a peaky bike and should be fairly easy to ride. Depending on your skill level you might want a flywheel weight, differant gearing or pipe.

At your size and weight, it is a good choice. Good luck.

:thumbsup:

I have had a 2001 YZ 250 for about 2 years now and it is a great bike, super reliable, good handling and as tough as nails. With a pipe, VForce and a power blade it will easily pull high gearing if you need it. This spreads the gears out a bit too which suits trail and enduro work. Through the tight and knarly sections it will blow the 426 away and will keep with it on the longer more open sections with the higher gearing.

Well Hot Rod, you are extremely qualified to comment on my dilemma. :ride:

Sounds like you are staying with the 250F. Can you give me a bit more on the difference between the YZ250F and YZ250? Seems the YZ would have gobs more power than the 250F with the same/better handling. But you have reasons to stay with the 4 stroke. :thumbsup:

Thanks,

Brian

They are really two different animals, but both are lighter and more nimble than Big Bertha (426). I like the F because of the tractable "hooked up" type power output, even though its less HP, you can pretty much pin it in corners, and it has pretty good power for a 125 class machine. It also has a very "planted" feel to it, and handles like its on rails.

Now, on to the 2-stroke. It has a zippy, light, crisp, feel to it with plenty of power on tap. Enough power to hang with the 426, but not as tractable or "hooked up" like a 4-stroke. The compression braking issue is also up to personal taste: I am personally fond of it, once you get used to it you kinda reliy on it to "back it in" corners at the last minute. The 2-stroke doesn't have it, but that's not a bad thing either. BOTH bikes (2 or 4) are great bikes.