Making dirt softer?

On my mini track,I use my grass clippings.Here in western NC we have some hard clay,so I dump all my grass clippings on the corners.I spread it about 4 inches thick.Then I plow it in.My mini track is about 5 acres so I mow alot.I also have a landscaping company in town thats looks for a place to dump their clippings,they just want to get rid of it so it doesnt cost a dime.I letem dump it then I spread it out.Just dont put it to thick as it will rot and smell bad...

It took a few mowing seasons but now I have a nice dark loamy mini track....JC

The mulch ideas are good but you can also use Gypsum. It is the same stuff they use to mark baseball fields. Go to any garden center and look for Gypsum, sometimes called soil buster. Apply with a drop spreader and lightly work in, then water. It takes a while to start working but eventually it opens the soil and allows better water penetration which means less watering and more roost time. If you are near a farm community you can have it hauled in by the truck load and spread over the whole track.

The other option is perlite...the white stuff in potting soil. It fends off compaction and also assists with drainage. Most Ag suppliers or large ag conglomerates, like commercial nurseries, should be able to provide a source.

I just get a rake and mix my dirt with soil....like soil you could buy at the store....I only do that in the corners though....not anywhere else....I am trying to get everything else hard as rock....but it isn't working out for me....I built my track by myself....with a shovel, rake, hoe, hula hoe, and wheel barrel. It's a mini track so it didn't take me to long....I can post pics maybe tommorow....

It will take more than a few "bags" of saw dust to do a track. We are talking semi truck loads. Most saw mills give it away, you just have to pay for the loading and hauling.

Unfortunately in California sawdust is a commoditiy. With all the chicken and turkey ranches here there is a lot of competition for the product. You can probably find a good deal on green waste mulch just about anywhere in Cali. It is yars clippings and prunings from yard maintenence that has been mulched.

sand is good(ruts). one of the local tracks here made a deal with the farms and they get free farm dirt somehow. its so nice. On tv on the nationals one of the pros was complaining that they use too much sawdust which is really thick and loose so when they are qualifying trying to get the best lap times it becomes one lined(the fastest) and the other stuff drys out and is unusable. that happens with most dirt though. i like sand alot.