Wheel trueing and balancing

I just ordered a set of gold Excel rims for my 06 RM-Z450 which already has silver Excel rims. Would it be hard to true and balance the wheels my self and do I really need a wheel trueing and balancing stand ? Any suggestions would be great, if any thing I was going to take them apart my self and re-lace them and have a Friend true them for me but I would really like to do this my self. You do not learn by having some one else do it for you so any suggestions would be nice, thanks.....

Zip tie the spokes together where they cross so you don't loose the pattern when you take the rim apart. Once you get the new rim on, try to keep the same amount of thread showing on all the spoke nipples so its somewhat even when you start. Then tighten every 3rd spoke half turn each all the way around until its all tightened up. This is how I put together my last rim and it ran very true! No fancy tools needed. The whole job is more intimidating than it is difficult. I'm sure you will get lots of responses on how to do this... but this way works great for me. Also its much wiser to use new spokes when changing the rim.

I thought I could find some more tips but every time I do a search in this site it tells me there is to much traffic and try latter. I think I am going to do this my self but just wanted to gather a bit more information.

If you have any musical sense it would be a plus with or without the wrench. As suggested the zip tie thing takes lots of problems out of your way. I think the art to truing is to find where the spokes want to "live" then listen as you average them all out. You could lace before you even consider the rim lock. Then if you get really picky.... mount two.

r