Sign in to follow this  

Is a glowing exhaust normal?

Just got back from a romp in the dark. After climbing the hill coming back to my house (650 foot altitude gain in less than 1/2 a mile) I noticed the first 8"-10" of the exhaust glowing. I was in third the whole way up.

For reference, my car is a turbo and the manifold and turbine scroll are also glowing red after the same hill.

Normal for a DR650 or is it lean?

Mike O.

At minumum, I would get a dynojet kit and follow their instructions. If you go to www.kientech.com Jesse has a nice bit on opening up the airbox. He also sells the jet kit and knows all there is to know about the DR. Those 2 mods will help the beast breath as well as keeping it cooler.

You being at low altitude are a worst case for these way too lean factory set up bikes.

I'd suggest that it's normal to get that hot from any really hard use. Especially if you rode hard even coming back down and all the way home. General city putt putting won't do that.

my yz 426 did the same thing just idling in my driveway when i first got it...scared the crap outta me....but i asked around and its perfectly normal....4 strokes run hot...

My 91' used to do that even at idle. Found out that the air filter was severely gunked up. installed new air filter and problem solved.