Sign in to follow this  

Opinions, Opinions, Opinions

My name is Billy, I am 17 years old. I have been riding a DRZ400 for about 8 months now. I ride frequently, not every day but a few times a week. I ride trails, and I ride on the street with my father. I currently have my motorcycle permit that allows me to ride next to or with a licensed rider on the street. I am debating with my father on why I should be allowed to own a motorcycle license for around town riding. I would like your opinions on the subject. Thanks

Are you lookin for ammunition in your debate?

That might be hard to find, but I can come up with a few things thta might help.

Tell him:

1) It's harder to get a girl pregnant on the back of a bike.

2) You'll take off the passenger pegs so you can't get drunk with your buddies and kill them all in a firey car wreck.

3) It'll save him on insurance, over a car.

4) It'll save you money on gas and maintainence, so you'll be able to save more and thus move out of his house sooner.(this should work very well)

5) You'll get more bj's from the girls at school that think you're a bad-ass, so, once again, you'll be less likely to impregnate anyone.

6) You'll be more successful later in life because of the higher level of self esteem you'll gain from all the bj's you'll get from the girls at school that think you're a bad-ass.

Don't listen to me at all....

LMFAO!!!

That might be hard to find, but I can come up with a few things thta might help.

Tell him:

2) You'll take off the passenger pegs so you can't get drunk with your buddies and kill them all in a firey car wreck.

4) It'll save you money on gas and maintainence, so you'll be able to save more and thus move out of his house sooner.(this should work very well)

5) You'll get more bj's from the girls at school that think you're a bad-ass, so, once again, you'll be less likely to impregnate anyone.

6) You'll be more successful later in life because of the higher level of self esteem you'll gain from all the bj's you'll get from the girls at school that think you're a bad-ass.

I assume you have a drivers license that allows you to drive a car/truck. If that is the case the fuel savings over a four wheel vehicle are significant. Of course a seemingly nice young man with an interest in motorcycling sure beats one with less desirable traits.

Billy, that's a tough one.

As a parent, and a cop.......sorry......my guess is that I'm going to be on your father's side of the arguement. I would allow my son to get a license, and I would attend a MSF (Motorcycly Safety Federation) course with him to assist in developing both our skills. I would then allow him to ride on the street on a VERY limited basis. Not as primary transportation.

My reasons are these....formost, other drivers don't see motorcycles well, and you as a new driver have not yet spent the time in traffic in a car or on a bike to develop the "survival" skill necessary for me to be able to sleep comfortably at night. There is nothing worse as a parent than getting the call that your child has been injured or worse.

I say, get the license, ride with your dad, take a course, and develop your skills. There is time for you to ride on the street alot, perhaps not just yet.

My opinion. :thumbsup:

tell your pops its not a 160 hp sportbike. you wear your gear and that you dont know any chicks that are into amputees so you are really careful. if that do what i did and wait a year. ive had three motorcycles since i was 18. i like my drz400sm more that my gixxer or my r6. besides its hard to get some beater pickup truck to do wheelies to impress the chicas enough to strap on their kneepads.

Hey Billy!

How does your dad feel about you getting a license?

Are you debating to convince your dad to let you get your license? Do you have a license to drive a car? If so how long have you been driving? It is a big step riding a motorcycle especially on the street. I'm sure you are probably a good rider but you are also putting your life in the hands of other people on the road and believe me there are allot of bad drivers on the road that are very careless! I would recommend waiting awhile and get more experience riding on the trails and with your dad. Learn everything you can to minimize your risks. You should also go to motorcycle safety classes. I am sure you are a responsible kid since your dad lets you ride with him on the road, but you are only 17 years old, you have all the time in the world, take your time and enjoy your bike! Whatever the 2 of you decide respect your dads decision, he is only trying to lookout for you!! This is all just my opinion. :applause: (I'm just lookin out for you to) Have fun with your bike!! :thumbsup::ride:

Well thanks for all the replies, my dad told me before I get my license I will be taking the motorcycle safety class which gives me my license, insurance goes up $130 -+ a year. And I think im getting it september. He is worried about my say, showing off on the road. Thanks for all the replies guys I like the input!!

Tell him:

oh my god! thats the funniest thing i've read in a long time! :ride: he's right billy, just go for it! just ride safe! :thumbsup: and like luckyrabbi said, its not a supersport bike.

DRZ400Squid, about the moving out part. I help with the family business and clean the house and yard 24/7. Sure he won't want me to move out. I should use that in my favor. Dad im not vacuming unless I get my license. I bring up the license every two seconds. He asks me to do something, I ask if I need a license to do it, etc, etc. Well the news is that I am going to the course in september and getting my license. I don't want to go on a road trip, just run around town, grab a bite to eat, stuff of the sort.

Wow!!! :ride: after reading some of the other replies i sound kind of lame. I was just trying to do the responsible thing. :thumbsup::applause:

m22. No lameless found in your reply. My dad is worried about all the right things, just maybe a little too worried. He thinks im going to ride around town doing wheelies, burnouts and drive crazy all over..which he doesn't understand that im getting older and don't really have interest in acting like that.

m22. No lameless found in your reply. My dad is worried about all the right things, just maybe a little too worried. He thinks im going to ride around town doing wheelies, burnouts and drive crazy all over..which he doesn't understand that im getting older and don't really have interest in acting like that.

Good for you. I will add though that it is o.k. to do those things in the appropriate places. (off road) I am a little older than you :applause: and i still act like that once in awhile!! :thumbsup::ride:

Everyone does that, but theres a right place, and a wrong place. Yes I do all of that off-road, and on-road when my dad does it haha. But I know enough to not driving down main street going 80 and wheeleing all over the place.

WOW...Im 32 and love doing wheelies and burnouts around town. Maybe Ill grow up someday!!!!

Maybe Ill grow up someday!!!!

Yeah me too, When I rode a sport bike I was always worried about loosing my license over speeding ticket's. (It's easy to speed and not know it) Now I'm sweating it over wheelies. Just 1st gear power wheelies but they will still land your ass in jail.

Dads turn..My son, I call him Jr.. Been caling him that since he was born..I'm glad for the most part that the replies of sort of mirrored what I have been preaching except for the girl related ones..My son is a good rider. Its my dream come true being able to ride with him. He has watched me ride since he was born. Hes witnessed accidents and watched me drag race. I just wish I could speed up the survival skill aspect of riding and install that extra sense we get over the years thats keeps us from trouble on the road..It woories me, but he has to have his chance. WE do enjoy riding our pair of DRZ's. Even riding wheelies thru intersections and stuff..BTW..When do you grow out of that. I'm 47.

Dads turn..My son, I call him Jr.. Been caling him that since he was born..I'm glad for the most part that the replies of sort of mirrored what I have been preaching except for the girl related ones..My son is a good rider. Its my dream come true being able to ride with him. He has watched me ride since he was born. Hes witnessed accidents and watched me drag race. I just wish I could speed up the survival skill aspect of riding and install that extra sense we get over the years thats keeps us from trouble on the road..It woories me, but he has to have his chance. WE do enjoy riding our pair of DRZ's. Even riding wheelies thru intersections and stuff..BTW..When do you grow out of that. I'm 47.

well, that safety course sounds like a good start. considering your experienced, you should invest in the advanced safety class.