Sign in to follow this  

Did I pay too much?

I bought a 04 XR 400 from a dealer in Ohio for $3500. The shop owner said it was bought new (dealer leftover) by an older gentleman in February 06 to ride with his grandchildren. He said he quickly found out it was too much for him. It looks like a new bike and the odometer said 43 miles. Judging from the condition of the bike, I believe him that that is the actual mileage. When I first saw it, I had to look close to determine that it was a used bike and not a new one. Do you guys think I paid too much for it?

I paid $2850 for 2001 XR400 this May.

I am happy now and belive it was a good deal.

The bike is running great!!!

I added some pictures to My Garage so that you could see the condition of the bike.

No, you didn't pay too much. You got a great deal. That bike is brand new. No boot scuffs on the frame, no scratches in the side covers or plastic. Original front tire still has the dimples in the lugs.

I wish mine still looked like that...

Great Deal! That bike is practically new! I don't think you paid to much. I would have taken that deal. :thumbsup:

That is exactly the condition of the last 2 XR400s I bought. I paid $3500 for the 99 a few years ago, and $3000 for the 02 last year. I was extremely happy with my deals. The carb on mine needed cleaning do to lack of use.

Sounds like a good deal to me. I paid $2500 for my 03 this spring when I bought it from a friend with about 2500 miles on it and I thought I was getting a helluva deal.

I wonder why they left the odo at 43 miles? I would have reset it myself, they must have wanted to show the actual mileage or something.

I don't know for sure that it has never been reset. It was on 43 miles when I got it and the dealer claimed it was actual miles. Looking at the bike I believe it is true.

How can you guys tell how many miles it has on it?????

That's a trip meter, easily reset to zero by a twist of the thumb screw.

That's got more than a few hundred miles on it. The give away is the tone (color) of the pipes. I'd say it's still a good deal but don't try and buillshit us.

NOPE!!!!! Good price... I paid alot more than thet on 04 for my 04...

same with me. I paid 5200 in early '05. You'll love this bike. Low maintenance, extremely reliable, great on trails :thumbsup:

How can you guys tell how many miles it has on it?????

That's a trip meter, easily reset to zero by a twist of the thumb screw.

That's got more than a few hundred miles on it. The give away is the tone (color) of the pipes. I'd say it's still a good deal but don't try and buillshit us.

I would disagree. The pipe could look like that because it's lean. A few hundred miles of off-road and the frame and side case would show more wear.

I would disagree. The pipe could look like that because it's lean. A few hundred miles of off-road and the frame and side case would show more wear.

I agree with you. It doesn't take very long at all for the paint to wear off of the frame and side case. I think it took about two rides for me. That bike shows, absolutely, no wear at all.

don't try and buillshit us.

Did you read my post XR-Rated? I said I didn't know before because the trip meter is resettable. I also said that I didn't know for sure but the dealer claimed that it had 43 miles on it. Read the post closer before you say someone is trying to :thumbsup: you.

I don't know for sure that it has never been reset. It was on 43 miles when I got it and the dealer claimed it was actual miles. Looking at the bike I believe it is true.

There you go man. I would say that at 43 miles it has been reset, and even if you don't believe it has, it don't make a tinkers damn because it CAN be reset. Thet little "4" followed by the little "3" don't mean chit.

I don't know if this helps you out but I just picked up a 2004 XR400 last thursday.

Pretty close to the same condition. There was hardly any wear on the frame (I put way more wear on the frame in the first 30 miles off road, than was already on it). It has a clarke tank, baha designs dual sport kit, new dot tires, dirt bagz saddle bag frames, and is titled and street legal. $3281 after taxes at my local honda dealer.