Sign in to follow this  

repair a cracked casing

Looking for some advise to go about repairing a crack in the casing? Does anyone know if there is a braing rod out there where a can braze the crack.It $280 for a new one just wanted to save a buck or two.Called Mylers and they said they think it could be maganizium cast I don't think so might send it to them to try anyway.

Thank for the insight I have a mig welder just was trying to find the out if there was a aluminum brazing rod to oxy/ace welded to try and keep the heat down. Kind like the rod Mylers fixs radiators with.

thanks

i had a cracked case with a few small pieces blown out on a yami 250f 2001 it was the seam between the case and the clutch cover, i had a local shop epoxy it and it held up great i rode it for another season and sold it, and the guy who bought it is still running it with no leaks or problems to date its been over 2 and a half years now

WHat bike and what casting is broken? If it is magnesium it can be welded, but it must be done by a tig welder in an inert enviroment. If it is aluminum, get it tig welded.

Have to agree with Aaron on this. Get it welded by a very good experienced aluminum welder. Be sure he knows what he is doing. Cast aluminum or magnesium from what I understand is very tricky to weld. It has a very low melting point and an average welder with aluminum can do more harm than good. I just happen to be friends with someone that welds aluminum for a living and he has given me some insight as to what is involved and I don't think it's as easy to do as you would think. So be careful.Good Luck.

Have to agree with Aaron on this. Get it welded by a very good experienced aluminum welder. Be sure he knows what he is doing. Cast aluminum or magnesium from what I understand is very tricky to weld. It has a very low melting point and an average welder with aluminum can do more harm than good. I just happen to be friends with someone that welds aluminum for a living and he has given me some insight as to what is involved and I don't think it's as easy to do as you would think. So be careful.Good Luck.

what he said. whoever you have fix that case make sure they know what kind of metal they're working with because there are different rods for different metals and you have to have your welding machine set up for the application.for instance a tig will use a different tungstin electrode in the handle if you are welding steel or aluminum.hope it comes together for you.