Sign in to follow this  

Rider size Question?

Hi everyone,

First let me say I tried to do a search for this topic but it has been Temp. disabled due to traffic.....sorry if this has been asked before.

I have been agonizing over what bike to buy and have narrowed it down to the DRZ400S or a XR650L (price is the key reason). My problem is I have always ridden HUGE Hp street bikes until a late model Ford pickup wanted my lane on my late '06 GSXR 1000 and am wondering how I will like the power of both bikes? My wife is now worried and wants me to move to a more dirt oriented bike to do offroad with the family with stints back and forth to work on the DS also. My concern is I am 6'3 and 260+ pounds :thumbsup: I have people telling me that both bikes are good but I should go with the 650 due to me being a big guy. I wanted to hear some of the 400 owners ideas on the matter. Has anyone ridden both and are my size?

Thanks for the help in advance.

The DRZ can be set up for your size and has plenty of power. The DRZ is also more dirt oriented. Both are good bikes but i wouldn't want the Kawi for off road. My money is on the DRZ! I may be somewhat biased though! :ride:

:thumbsup:

I'm 6'4" and 245lbs and ride a 400e. The bike has plenty of power in stock trim and can be pumped up quite a bit by following all the power mod advice in this forum. The bike climbs really well and has a nice linear power band and revs quite high. I don't think you'd be disappointed with the 400 and I'm sure you'd like the weight savings over the 650. :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear about your GSXR, that really sucks! :ride:

Yeah I still get teary eyed when I see a 1kGixxer :ride: Is the DRZ400S around the same power as the XR650L ? How is the Suzuki on the road? I will be riding it around town and on trips to the hills. :thumbsup:

I have a green 2004 DRZ400E (KLX400sr). I am 6' 265lbs and my KLX has never failed me. Tons of low end on the hills and wicked fun on the streets (though my Dunlops D606s aren't the best choice for street).

I highly recommend the DRZ. I do plan to redo the suspension because I do tend to come down hard when I do more aggressive riding.

Nothing bad to say about the XR650, it was my first choice, but the KLX/DRZ are cheaper. Plus the XR650 hasn't really changed much in the last 10 years.

Either one will do you well.

Cheers!

:thumbsup:

Jeremy

I'm 6'4" and 365. The DRZ has plenty of power for my skills and can easily be modded to run with the XR 650L pretty inexpensively.

Look at the L specs, It's old school air cooled engine is not that great. I looked at it before I got my DRZ. Suspension leaves something to be desired too.

IF you want a Honda with power you have to add a light kit to an XR 650R and that is big bucks in the end.

DRZ suspension can be tuned for your weight and should be. If you want to do anything more than hardpack offroad, get some appropriate tires.

DRZ is more than capable on road, only bummer is vibration on long rides. Look into a Corbin or other aftermarket seat and better grips with good padded gloves to put the miles in more comfortably.

Overal my DRZ was much less money and I like Blue better anyway. Only other consideration was a Black SM. :thumbsup:

I can not make a direct comment on the size issue. After several rides on a basically stock 650L I can sincerely say I would rather ride a KLR650 offroad. The 650R on the other hand is another really nice ride to dualsport. I do not know how oregon is with that sort of thing.

The cockpits on the 650s are larger than I like offroad but that is probably a good thing in your case. I hear some of the taller guys complaining about standing on a DRZ not so in my case :thumbsup:

Good luck on your decision. It's rough deciding what grin machine you want to purchase, lol

I'm 6'3" and 250 lbs. I have an 06 DRZ400S and it handles my weight just fine. It doesn't seem real cool to ride it over 80 mph but it is great a speeds less than that. It is small and easy to handle and if I really wanted a bigger bike I would have gone for a 2 cylinder.

I'm 6'2" and 275lbs, and my DRZ-SM handles my weight just fine. If I were racing it or doing more than the occasional caual trail ride I would upgrade the suspension, but for commuting and casual trails the stock bits are fine.

Comming off a Gixxer, all I can say is that if you get either bike you are gonna be very unimpressed with the power. I found the stock DRZs to be patheticly underpowered on the street. Jetting and 3x3 help open it up, but you are still talking about a bike that won't hit the ton. [in other words, make sure to budget some money for mods, because chances are, you will want more power.]

If you want to race it for some reason it will not have enough power in stock form. To ride around town and to trail ride, it will have plenty of power. If you are buying the "S" and don't plan on riding on the highway, change the gearing to 14/47 immediately and it will feel much better for you.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am going to go test run a DZ tonight after work. I know that the power wont be close to my old ride but I am looking for a good ride to hit trails with, go scouting and do an occasional highway run. Mostly it will be moving me around town as a commuter. I will be undertaking what mods I can on either bike ASAP.

Keep the replies coming :thumbsup: Anyone have any bike to bike power comparisons they could share?

Again thanks everyone!

At 240 right now, I totally smoke my buddy on his 650 and he is a way better rider than I am. He was a class B enduro champ in MN and I am a rookie. Get the DRZ