Sign in to follow this  

Converting my 05 to duals

Before I start i just want to say that I please ask that no-one tell me to not do it because i need to ride it or i need to buy this or that I just want an answer. Im going to do it regardless of what anyone says. Thank You.

I just talked to my cousin and hes going to hook me up with the stock twin exhaust off his 06. So i figured that it would be a cool deal because i tallied up the part costs and it will cost me just about what a decent after market will cost. Im going to attempt to weld(aluminum can be tricky) a replica of an 06 subframe with a bent donor 05 so my question is what can i keep and what else do I need.

Parts I know: Full 06 exhaust,subframe,number plates,airbox. Can i keep the rear fender cuz i have custom graphics that i cant buy again and id hate to sacrifice it. Possibly a seat? Thanks in advance for any advice

you may need to look at the postions of the carbs becasue of the split. youd need air box subframe, side plates rear fender i doubt you could fab it if needed.

look around ebay there are plenty of parted out bikes

why do you want to convert it to duels anyways? :thumbsup:

haha i get asked that about why i put an xr80 engine into cr80 stuff (check the garage)

i can answer this for him, if you have the parts and a little experiance, its cool to make one-off stuff, you will never see another 05 duel pipe at a track, and if someone takes a close look at the bike they will be like "that is different"

having custom things are awsome, i brougth my 80 to the track and i had offers on how much i want to sell it for, because its different

this is one of the dumbest ideas ive ever heard. use the money and go get an 06 or 07. by the time your done you may have a less powerfull 05 than you started with.

Step 1: Remove the seat, place on ground.

Step 2: Loosen the exhaust clamp and airboot clamp.

Step 3: Remove the 3 subframe mounting bolts and remove the entire subframe assembly, place on ground.

Step 4: Remove the remainder of the exhaust system, place on ground.

Step 5: Replace all parts on ground with 06 parts and reassemble the bike.

You could attempt to weld on a Bracket to hold on the left canister onto your stock subframe, Id try this first before I go and spend some hard earned coin on a new subframe if you dont need it, also you will have to get the 06 air box and 06 number plates, back fender Im sure you could very easily modify it to fit your dual exhaust setup, also you will need/modify the mud guard attached to the air box in front of the back tire to allow the left exhaust to clear, Ill edit this post if I think of anything else

Step 1: Remove the seat, place on ground.

Step 2: Loosen the exhaust clamp and airboot clamp.

Step 3: Remove the 3 subframe mounting bolts and remove the entire subframe assembly, place on ground.

Step 4: Remove the remainder of the exhaust system, place on ground.

Step 5: Remove head pipe, place on ground

Step 6: Replace all parts on ground with 06 parts and reassemble the bike.

the 06 head pipe is different than the 05, much shorter

i fixed it

post some pics when you finished and let us know how she turned out!! its nice to see somebody being different than the rest!!

this is one of the dumbest ideas ive ever heard. use the money and go get an 06 or 07. by the time your done you may have a less powerfull 05 than you started with.

Dude, don't be a little bitch about everything. Anyways, it does sound like a nifty idea. Tell us how it turns out.

:thumbsup:

Yep, the dual pipes are pretty durable, just check my avatar. Wait... :thumbsup:.

Sounds like a cool idea!

you will make more power if you use a chm sm1 single sided exhaust ,

less weight and all for $370.0 ,---i just don't see why you would want to hurt power and add weight :ride:

the racing game is finding out what works , what you are wanting to do is just busy work with no advancement ( actually disadvantage ) and spending money .

just not productive :thumbsup:

but then again maybe he doesnt race and he just wants it for riding! he wants a different look from most 05s

F*&^ i give up. alot of you guys didnt even take into consideration what the red print said. Thanks to the people who actually gave support and good comments. And especially thanks to those who actually gave an answer on what to do. END OF THREAD

LOL....probablly because instead of gettin the stocker duals.... i think im gettin an even more insane deal on a yosh trc carbon fiber so ill keep you in mind when i take my stocker off if you dont get one by then

Dude just don't post.If you say red there is someone saying orange.If you have the money and time go for it .The only one you have to make happy is you.I do what i want regardless of others opinions.But even though you put up a disclaimer this site is for a free and open discussion good or bad.Good luck and just have fun.