Sign in to follow this  

Converting To Kickstart

i searched on this, and it seems like the few threads i found, people just throw the idea down the drain and never get a real answer. but it seems like there were plenty of people who were really interested in removing the electric start to shave weight.

so heres my deal.

How much does the electric starter, full in system, actually weigh? numbers were all over when i searched.

my bike starts 1st kick. i kick start it now. it never shuts off unless i run outa gas, so im not worried about a stall out.

so i think going to kick start only is a very good modification for me to make.

now the good junk

how do you do it? i havnt inspected the system at all. but im assuming its larger motor, that connects to the engine to turn it over maybe using a one way bearing or something along that.

its a system that im sure isnt to complicated, i just havnt looked at it closely.

do you need a way to block the engine after removing the starter motor?

any info on it, please type up. i dont want this to be like the other threads i found and have "why would you do that??" i already explained it.

thanks for any useful info. :thumbsup:

i also have a question related to this.............kinda stupid but is the headlight connected to the battery? because im hoping to get one soon and im not gonna want that extra weight.

does the 250X come with a Speedometer?

Well, you didn't say what year your bike was. So, on the Honda web site the spec sheet for the '07 250X showed a dry weight of 225 lbs. The dry weight of the 250R was 204 lbs. So that's 21 lbs with the starter, buttons, lights, and electrical differences. You can take the starter off and purchases the cap to plug the hole. Remove the front plate and rear fender replacing them with the R. Double check the years on those, some didn't cross over. Remove the odometer and plug the hole on the front axle with a cap. Not sure on the electrical, haven't really dug into that too much.

i was looking at the Trail Tech Offroad Endurance Computer Kits and for the CRF 250X it only gave the year options for 04' and 05'. will it fit on the 06' fine?

misprint probably.. i have saw plenty of places that list it to 06.

it will work fine.

Well, you didn't say what year your bike was. So, on the Honda web site the spec sheet for the '07 250X showed a dry weight of 225 lbs. The dry weight of the 250R was 204 lbs. So that's 21 lbs with the starter, buttons, lights, and electrical differences. You can take the starter off and purchases the cap to plug the hole. Remove the front plate and rear fender replacing them with the R. Double check the years on those, some didn't cross over. Remove the odometer and plug the hole on the front axle with a cap. Not sure on the electrical, haven't really dug into that too much.

you forgot the pig of a pipe and the over flow catch can. I don't thin that there is much weight to loose in the electrical on this bike. I'm sure that most riders could loose more around the waist than you can take off this bike. That also helps. I recently lost about 10 pounds and can really tell the difference. I've got about 15 more to go for my goal and I'm very excited to see how much it helps.

As far as a plate to cover were your starter used to go I've never heard of one. I'm sure that one could be made pretty easily but there is only a few pounds to save there. I think that your best savings will be with removal of the battery.

^im keeping my lights and all for sure.

i would think i could lose at least 3lb + by removing it. and i am gettin a different exhaust.

The batter does not run the lights. It's a different circuit. Have you ever noticed that when the bike is way down in the RPM's that the light dims and then wack the throttle and it'll brighten up. You can remove the battery and the lights will still work.

cha, whats it run off of? like somethign off the motors power? i suck at electrical junk man. lol.

ok, so i can remove my electric starter and battery and save a nice amount of #'s then?

Yea I can't remember what the system is called that it runs off of but it is indepenednt from the battery. My batter was dead for a long time and they still worked so I looked in to it and found that they work independly.

well, i might just remove my battery for my ride saturdya and see if i feel enough difference ot know its worth removing it all then.

Its called a magneto, its like an alternator that runs off the crankshaft

if the engine. If you do remove disconnect the LED tail light, I hear it will burn out without the battery.

I've never heard of the tail light buring out with out the battery. Why would removing the battery cause the tail light to burn out. Why not the head light as well?

Because LED's are very voltage sensitive compared to incandescent bulbs. That is why the LED goes Threw the CDI unit and are relayed and the headlight just runs off the magneto. Its a simple white two wire connector right by the famous pink wire connector to disconnect it.

When I was researching my in op LED light I found this talked about several times. I don't know it to be fact, just what I herd.

Things that generate electrical power - magnetos, alternators, and generators - can put out some higher than desirable voltages and can burn out all kinds of things. Don't start up you car then disconnect the battery for instance.

Don't know about the 250X but some people use battery eliminators (basically big capacitors) on other models. If others have removed the battery on the 250X with no ill effects don't worry about it, but it seems the taillight might be sensitive in this case.