Sign in to follow this  

yz 250f

hey im gettin rid of my ttr 125l and i wanna yz250f but i only have about 3 grand and i wanna 2004 or higer the reason is that i dont want a bike that has been raced and rode hard that means when i get it i will have to rebuild the top end. my question is how hard do u have to ride it until u have to rebuild the top end im gonna be trail ridin maybe 2 times a month and race a few times a year. how long?

the queastin is are you good, we need more info, if you have a yz 250 F its not a f@cken two smoke, if you want good performance change the top end every 2-4 years if you only ride once a week, i ride 4 times a day and i dont cahange my top and to much , i havent done it yet but when school start im selling my bike and moving up to a 450 i have a 04 yz 250F i pad 3600, has a tun of shit into it

hey im gettin rid of my ttr 125l and i wanna yz250f but i only have about 3 grand and i wanna 2004 or higer the reason is that i dont want a bike that has been raced and rode hard that means when i get it i will have to rebuild the top end. my question is how hard do u have to ride it until u have to rebuild the top end im gonna be trail ridin maybe 2 times a month and race a few times a year. how long?

That makes no sense, a racers bike will be rebuilt and maintained alot more then just a bush basher, so if you buy a 04 that was owned by a bush basher i doubt it will have as many rebuilds on it then one that has because performance doesnt matter if your not racing. If your not doing much riding then a 250f will last ages without a rebuild, just change the oil reguarly and get the valves checked.

You would be bettwer off buying a used 250f from a top amatuer racer that has several of them (mod, stock and practice bikes). If you look around and ask questions, you will find there are a lot of young riders whose bikes are maintained by really good mechanics and everything is done base upon a specific schedule.

On my son's 250F's, we do top end every 10hrs with a timing chain, new crank (balanced and trued) every 35-40hrs, valves are adjusted one time and replaced the next time they need adjustment. Valves are checked at least every 5 hours, oil changed every ride and oil filter changed every other oil change. Every bike has hour meters installed when new and always know exactly how much time is on bike.

You will also find that these bikes can usually be bought cheaper than those owned by others. The top amatuers usually get bikes much cheaper than most everybody else and don't want to sit on them when the new models come out.

If you get one of these kids mod race bikes it may have less than 15-20hrs on it for the whole year and be loaded with some of the best stuff.

i wanna yz250f but i only have about 3 grand and i wanna 2004 or higer the reason is that i dont want a bike that has been raced and rode hard

You can buy an 04 or an 05 that has been raced for two years with new platic on it and it looks new. Like gyd said, buy a bike that was maintained and you will have better luck.

I picked up and 02 YZ250F last summer for $1800 and have rode it for two years. One of the intake valves has started to tighten up. I have reshimmed it and will be replacing the valves this winter. New valves $600 ish The total cost of my bike after two years is $2400 with out the oil changes of coarse.

Keep in mind that the years 2003-2005 are red sticker. So forget about trail riding. I haven't redone my top end yet but I don't really hit the tracks either. Just be advised about the red sticker thing. Its a real bummer if you don't know about it.(I'm sure you already do)

Keep in mind that the years 2003-2005 are red sticker. So forget about trail riding.

He is from Carolina not California.