Sign in to follow this  

quick rear sprocket question

Just purchased a set of chain and sprockets and am having a tough time getting the old rear sprocket off. Do any of you guys have any tips? should i have left the rear wheel on while getting the bolts loose? maybe i'll try some wd-40 tomorrow and might buy a allan wrench socket instead of just the allan wrench. thanks!

you know there bolts on the other side of the sproket right, its esay with th tier of, just hold the bold side with a wench and then the other side with the alen wench, and move the wrench left and they should come right off,

i was trying that...actually squeezing the two together and still wouldn't budge..it's an 03" so they've been on there a little while.

ok screw the allen wench then just put the wench on the bolt,ok then try to find a pipe or somthing and stick it on the end of the wench for leverege, pull it to the right as hard as you could , you dont need the allen wench until it is lose

If you have one of those 2-ton jacks, remove the handle and use that for leverage and if need be, use an allen key the hold the other side steady.

sndmn2 is right,they have loctite and they have been on there a while. Use a little heat on the nut on the back and that should let them free up easier. Also hold the bolt (allen side) steady and turn the nut side. Hope this helps out. Good luck.

dont use too much heat if you do that method because you can weaken the bolt and increase the chances of faliure if you use the old ones.

I used a big breaking bar for the allen heads and then put a wrench on the other side and they came right out. Just make sure you have the allen head in really tite or the bolts will strip.