Sign in to follow this  

radiator overflow

My '91 kx 250 leaks water from the overflow hose. By the end of a long ride i have to put almost half a water bottle in it. My buddy that i bought the bike from had a small water bottle rigged to his frame and had a hole in the top of the cap which he put the over flow hose into. When it got colder it would leak some out into this bottle, and when it got hotter it would suck it back up. It worked great. But he took it off before he sold it to me for some reason. Now, Before i do this same thing. I want to know if i can just plug the over-flow hose with a bolt without hurting anything. Any help is greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

My '91 kx 250 leaks water from the overflow hose. By the end of a long ride i have to put almost half a water bottle in it. My buddy that i bought the bike from had a small water bottle rigged to his frame and had a hole in the top of the cap which he put the over flow hose into. When it got colder it would leak some out into this bottle, and when it got hotter it would suck it back up. It worked great. But he took it off before he sold it to me for some reason. Now, Before i do this same thing. I want to know if i can just plug the over-flow hose with a bolt without hurting anything. Any help is greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

Do NOT plug the overflow hose. That is designed to bleed of excessive cooling system pressure. If you plug that hose, the pressure will blow the water pump impeller seal, forcing coolant into your transmission oil. I about guarantee all you need is a new radiator cap.

Your cooling system is designed to have a little air space in there. If you fill it up to the top when it is cold, it's gonna push out some coolant when its hot.....completely normal.

If in doubt, just replace the cap.

The stock cap is a 1.1 , if you want a higher pressure cap get a 1.3

Jay

I replaced it that day i got the bike. But ill replace it again. Thanks polarbus again :thumbsup:

I replaced it that day i got the bike. But ill replace it again. Thanks polarbus again :thumbsup:

If you already replaced the cap, you have an overheating issue other than the cap. You could have a blown head gasket. Pull your spark plug and smell it..... if it has a sweet "antifreeze" smell to it, you have a bad head gasket. Does your bike stream white smoke a lot all the time? Thats another tell tale sign you have a coolant leak.

If you already replaced the cap, you have an overheating issue other than the cap. You could have a blown head gasket. Pull your spark plug and smell it..... if it has a sweet "antifreeze" smell to it, you have a bad head gasket. Does your bike stream white smoke a lot all the time? Thats another tell tale sign you have a coolant leak.

No, it doesnt stream white smoke. Ill try the spark plug thing

I second the motion for a new radiator cap. Then check for leaks or bubbles coming up through the radiator. Sometimes a blown head gasket will allow the compression to bubble into water jackets and you'll see traces of oil in your radiator and bubbles.

I second the motion for a new radiator cap. Then check for leaks or bubbles coming up through the radiator. Sometimes a blown head gasket will allow the compression to bubble into water jackets and you'll see traces of oil in your radiator and bubbles.

Thats it! God thank you :applause::applause: I do see just a few very small of what looks like dabs of oil in the ratiator water. Now, i can ride it till i get the money to fix it right? I mean, it runs fine :ride: And thanks once again :thumbsup:

How many times have you put water into it? Are you currently running 50% coolant and 50% water? If you are running a high percentage of just water, then the boiling point has been lowered.

For corrosion's sake, run distilled water, not tap water.

Thats it! God thank you :applause::applause: I do see just a few very small of what looks like dabs of oil in the ratiator water. Now, i can ride it till i get the money to fix it right? I mean, it runs fine :ride: And thanks once again :thumbsup:

If your bike has a leaking head gasket, I would not suggest riding it until you get it fixed. I've seen pictures of pistons that have come out of bikes with leaky head gasket and they don't look pretty.