Sign in to follow this  

radiator overflow

My '91 kx 250 leaks water from the overflow hose. By the end of a long ride i have to put almost half a water bottle in it. My buddy that i bought the bike from had a small water bottle rigged to his frame and had a hole in the top of the cap which he put the over flow hose into. When it got colder it would leak some out into this bottle, and when it got hotter it would suck it back up. It worked great. But he took it off before he sold it to me for some reason. Now, Before i do this same thing. I want to know if i can just plug the over-flow hose with a bolt without hurting anything. Any help is greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

it is overflowing for probably 1 of 2 reasons. One, the radiator cap release spring could be weakened and it is prematurely boiling over (if you have no knowledge of how radiators and water cooled engines work, then that will probably make no sense), or two, your bike could be simply overheating, which could be caused by an amatuer jetting job in which the main jet could be too small. If it is overheating it is doing the same thing as the first reason, with a different cause, if that makes sense.

But NO, do NOT plug up the hose. that is a dumb way to go about it. I reccommend, because of it being an older bike, to go pick up a new radiator cap specifically for a 91 kx250.

I already replaced the ratiator cap. And i know for a fact that my bike is not overheating. And it drips out slowly. It doesnt shoot out like it does when a bike overheats

Water pump leak maybe, check around there.

Nope, I can see it in my shadow drip slowly

Are you overfilling the radiator? You should only fill it to just above the top of the fins. If you fill it to the very top it will blow out the excess.

Are you overfilling the radiator? You should only fill it to just above the top of the fins. If you fill it to the very top it will blow out the excess.

I know that. I fill it to the top of the fins and it leaks most of it out. :thumbsup: