Sign in to follow this  

FCR First Ride Part 1

OK, after two evening of monkeying around making sure I had all the parts, I got the FCR installed on my 400S. WOW, huge throttle response, amazing. Could not be happier with the bottom end torque. However, it seems to flatten out in the top end noticable. I have a full RS3 system, with the cork in. Could this be the flat top end? I would have taken it out, but it was too late and my neighbors would have gotten upset. Burned? Anyone? Ideas about the flat top end?

Thanks.

I used the 160 as you suggested with the DXP needle, my EMN needle is on the way, but it flattens out in the upper RPMs at WOT so I don't think its the needle. What do you think?

Anyone have any clue - The top end power seems the same as the CV, but the bottom end feels like twice (or more) torque. Is it my TEC insert? Its freakin loud with it in, I can't imagine what it will be like out. Oh well.

I doubt its your insert Im having the same issue with a stock pipe

read down : BOG in 5th gear

FlaDRZ - Though similar sounding issues, I think they are different. I have no bog at all, infact its pretty freakin' crisp with any sort of wack of the throttle, my issue is the power just feels a little flat in the upper at WOT. A good example would be a third gear wheelie - lots of snap to get the front up but then its tough to keep it up with the power on as it feels like it just flattens out. It was the opposite with my CV, no power to get it up but when I did i could keep it there with a power on wheelie. Hopefully Eddie can shed some possible light. Could it be my clip position (I should probably double check, but I'm pretty sure its in the 5th clip)? I doubt that too. I'm at 500ft with the following setup:

DRZ400E FCR - CE removed

160 MJ

200 MAJ

DXP Needle 5th Clip

45 PJ

100 PAJ

Adjustable Fuel Screw 2.5 turns out

3x3

RS-3 Full System TEC Insert In (for now)

:thumbsup:

Oh ya, and I have a slight hanging idle ... slight.

TTT :thumbsup:

I continue to search and have not found a solution. My pump squirt duration seems right on too.

Ya, i just double checked, throttle opens all the way. Let's see if I can better describe the issue. Pretty much, the bike now has wicked throttle response and great power in the first half of the RPM range and even nice snap at an any RPM with a wack of the throttle. The problem is that the power fads in the upper Rs and I just feel like its making a bunch of intake noise and not much more power than my CV up top. I know the power fad in the upper Rs, but not as soon as i am experiencing. Does this make any sense Eddie? :thumbsup:

I hope your right :thumbsup:

I'll let you know tonight after a quick ride. I have it jetted for the insert in, will it run OK with it out, or will I experience the same thing since it will now be jetted too lean?

I don't have access to a street tire for the dyno run. Good idea though, as I would really like to do a dyno pull. After I get the SM setup i will for sure.

i noticed with the insert in it would act like it was held back a little at high speed at wot.with it out it seemed to rev better at high rpm in 5th and my speed increased faster.i also notice with the insert in it seemed to have more bottom end snap.

OK - just got back from a quick ride around the block test. I think the insert removal solved the problem. It definitely revs out better, but I guess I was hoping for more top end. I feel the biggest difference between the stock carb and the FCR is the amazing throttle response and ability to loft the front wheel at lower engine speeds. I think the cork removal fixed the problem, and its not as loud out in public as I thought it would be. I kinda like it actually :thumbsup:

I thought I would update once more to let everyone know the difference this carb has made on my bike, especially at elevation. My CV sucked when I rode way up high. I live at sea level but often do a lot of mountain riding, up to 6500ft. The FCR worked awesome all the way up to 6000ft on Saturday, obvisouly it made less power way up there, but the difference in ridability was night and day to my CV. Great mod!

Still looking for more top end power though. Cams are next :thumbsup:

Still looking for more top end power though. Cams are next :thumbsup:
Do you have experience with faster bikes? Compared to my CV, the FCR has much more top end. It keeps pulling and pulling.

So maybe you're used to something even more powerful?