Sign in to follow this  

3x3 airbox mod help please

I am just about to carry out the 3x3 airbox mod to my DRZ400E but my local supplier only has a 162 or 168 main jet (he is a KTM dealer). The instructions state a 165 jet is required but I was wondering what the opinion might be of me using wither a 162 or 168 main ?

Thanks.

Paul. :thumbsup:

or install the 168 and leave the airbox cover off until the jet you ordered gets in. Jets are about 2$ each so youre not out much

Its a standard pipe so Im guessing the 162 might be ok ?

Also can you tell me is a 45 pilot jet standard ?

you can drill the 162 out to a 165 if you are in a pinch.

you can drill the 162 out to a 165 if you are in a pinch.

what size bit would you use for that?

I did my pilot jet bake when i tried to run the 150/27.5 jet set recommended i the faq/drzinfo page (never got it to run well btw) but I think I ended up around 40 pilot. Ireamed it out with a torch cleaner.

You can make it larger...but there is no way of knowing what it would actually flow.

Jets are measred by flow...not the size of the hole. 2 jets may have the same diameter hole...but flow at different rates due to taper and depth and so on.

I'd just buy the right jet...even if you have to mail order it.

what size bit would you use for that?

I did my pilot jet bake when i tried to run the 150/27.5 jet set recommended i the faq/drzinfo page (never got it to run well btw) but I think I ended up around 40 pilot. Ireamed it out with a torch cleaner.

F4eight-I hope this didn't sound nasty-meant to be a jokey quip-You're right you can, I have, it doesnt work very well but is certainly done.

like how do you spell that moaning you wife makes when you....

F4eight-I hope this didn't sound nasty-meant to be a jokey quip-You're right you can, I have, it doesnt work very well but is certainly done.

like how do you spell that moaning you wife makes when you....

It didn't sound nasty at all... you have to get up early to get under my skin. I have drilled out jets in the past with good results. My dad had an old school Weber carb jet drill set along with round feeler gauges to measure the jet hole size. anyway, it can be done if you have the tools... easier just to order the right jet. :thumbsup:

that's cool, never heard of a jet drill set. They had some neat ways around problems, especially the Brits. So this plug you installed in your header allows you to read exhaust gas composition in real time?

OK, so I have spent all day taking my bike apart and putting it back together.

Just to recap I have:

DRZ400E

stock pipe

stock filter

stock OBDXP needle in mid position

142 main

fuel screw 1 1/2 turns

My bike runs fine but my plan was to do the 3x3 mod and get this magical improvement everyone raves about cos we all want more power dont we and Im sick of my Friend blowing me away on his GasGas 300.

I pulled the snorkel out, fitted a 162 main and set the fuel screw at 2 1/2 turns.

On a test ride the bike ran quite badly in mid and high revs, even kind of cutting out, so I lowered the clip on the needle from 4 to 5 slots.

On this test ride the bike was better but stuttered at high revs so I lowered the needle clip again. At this point the bike seemed fine until top revs where again it seemed to misfile/stutter.

I covered half the air intake with duct tape but it still felt the same.I removed the end plate on pipe and it was pretty much the same.

I would say the bike feels a little better at low pick up but I cant seem to do anything with the mid/ high end. It all feels worse than stock.

I have just put my bike back to stock again and it feels fine at all revs.

HELP !!!!!!!! :thumbsup::ride::applause::applause::applause: