Sign in to follow this  

Shifter lever issue

On the ride in today I had my shift lever fall off. Luckily it was in the middle of the road about a mile back and I was able to get it back on and continue under my own power. My question is, how tight are your shifter levers? Mine had always been loose, OK I'm stupid but I thought the bolt locked into the groove in the shaft and it was not supposed to be "clamped". I had checked the bolt and it was fairly tight so I never hammered the clamp down on the shaft. I guess the bolt must have finally worn enough to allow the lever to slide off. I tightened it up so it is now clamped on the shaft. just curious how many others are/were like this. Took 18,000 miles to fall off!

Mine fell off..in heavy traffic :thumbsup: The bolt still intact and tight. Scared the bejesus out of me and forced me to ride home through the city in third gear the whole way. I've had it come loose a couple times too. It's holding with a new lever at the moment, but if the bolt was any tighter it would strip for sure.

I've moved my lever position a few times to accomidate riding boots, so that probably didn't help.

If the shifter has worn to the point that it won't tighter onto the shaft (yes it should have NO slack) then buying a new one is a good idea but you can band-aid it. Put the shift lever in a vise without the bolt, compressing it together then take a hack saw and cut between the compressed sections, Now it will clamp down tighter.

I added a moose lever and noticed it loose after I rode on it for a while.I had to tighten the crap out of it,has been fine for 6000 miles with many falls and rebending back into place.

That shift leveris the biggest pain in the butt. When you want to take them off, there is no way to get thosestupid things off. Then they fall off going down the road. :thumbsup:

One of the many reasons us old enduro riders still carry a Vise-Grip clamped somewhere on our bikes. 7WR is my favorite.

One of the many reasons us old enduro riders still carry a Vise-Grip clamped somewhere on our bikes. 7WR is my favorite.

LOL haha nice trick. Using the vice grip to tighten the bolt or as a shift lever?

LOL haha nice trick. Using the vice grip to tighten the bolt or as a shift lever?

As the shift lever. Also as a clamp to hold things together when the bolt broke, as a nut when the thing vibrated off, for broken clutch lever mechanism - pull the cable end with vise grip - put it in gear - let it out then shift with out clutch - repeat every time you have to stop. Many enduros are finished with major components "spanked".

What fl-cracker said. I have used this trick on many bikes. Never fails.

The shifter is really soft metal and stretches when you tighten it to much.

Always a good idea to carry the vice grips to.

Glad to hear I'm not alone - on all accounts, gotta have vise grips. I rode a snowmobile home using them to grab the little peice of the throttle that was left. Just wrap your hand around the visegrip, push it to the bar and hold on - it still gave it full throttle