Sign in to follow this  

Squeaky..

My 1999 TTR-250 has a problem...she really squeaks and creaks somewhere aorund the back shock. I notice it when i sit on the bike...and basically whenever the suspension is being loaded and unloaded. Im assuming something back there needs to be greased pretty bad. What and where and how is this done?? Will I be removing the whole arse end of it?

The easiest way is to drop the entire rear suspension out. You may find that the bearings are shot, thats what usually is found when you tear them apart when they are squeaking badly, especially if you've never done it before.

A good rule of thumb is to grease the linkage and steering stem bearings at least annually, if not more.

You're bearings/bushings are probably shot from not being greased enough or well enough. I've been using some grease that is blue/green in color, it is called Marine Corrosion Control and Trailer Wheel Bearing Grease. You need to keep everything greased well, including the linkage and everything. Also, the shock might be squeaking when it is compressed. Could use a little WD/40 maybe.