Sign in to follow this  

How long should the valves last?

I've been riding for 25.8 hours since i got new Kibblewhite valves and springs in my 04 KXF. Had to shim all four valves after five hours. After that the valve clerance has been good until 17.8 hours when i had to reshim both intake valves. After another 1.5 hours i checked the clerance and the left intake needed to be shimmed. Then i rode for 1.4 hours and the left intake again needs to be shimmed.

When the valves were new i started with the 2.95 mm shim on the left intake and now i'm down to the 2.6 mm shim.

Shouldn't the valves last longer than 26 hours?

What should i do now? Replace the left intake valve? Buy a 2-stroke?

Did you have the seats cut when you replaced the valves? If not, you are just wasting money on valves.

buy a newer bike..like the 07! :thumbsup:

It's so damn expensive here in Sweden, a new 07 is like 10500 USD. Isn't it ok to get a 06 or do they also have valve problems?

Did you have the seats cut when you replaced the valves? If not, you are just wasting money on valves.

No i didn't get the seats cut. The mechanic who replaced the valves said the seats were fine and there was no need to cut them.

If i cut the seats, can i use the valves i use now or do i have to get new valves?

as a head porter and a company that does a lot of head reconditioning i found that the average stainless steel valve will not last in the suzuki or kawasakis no mater who makes it they need a little extra help i have been having my ferrea valves coated on the faces to get life from them the steel valves from the oems for street bikes are also nitrided to make them last if you grind them they will wear out with in a few hundred miles.