Sign in to follow this  

Metzeler M1 Sportecs

I've done a search and most opinions are just objective ones eg "this tire is good", "this tire is no good".

What I want to know is, is this tire better than my stock Dunlop 208s? The Dunlops just feel squirelly to me...I took them to the track and they never felt like they were fully gripping...I don't know if that;s the way supermotos just feel at high speed or what but when I had the Metzelers on my GSXR, they were awesome. Are they going to work just as well on such a light bike?

thanks!

btw, I'm asking because there's a huge discount on them now...I can get 2 rears and a front for less than one front and rear normally...

If you want a sticky tire, the M1 is it. I ran the M1 on my DRZ and the thing would grip all the way to the edge of the sidewall. I couldn't get it to slide.

I have the Metzeler M3 on my DRZ and my CBR right now. They're a great tire but I've not tried the older M1 tire.

I had the Michelin Pilot Power (street) on the CBR prior to the M3s and, in the dry, I find the M3 to be far better. It gives decent feedback (Michelin tires just don't give good feedback: they're good, good, good, gone) and it has very neutral handling (the PP wanted to pull me further into the corner and took too much effort to stand the bike back up again).

The OEM Suzuki D208SM are crap compared to the M3. While they provide decent feedback; the ultimate grip just isn't there. The M3 I have no issues with the tires as I drag footpegs on my DRZ. My bike's limitations are now suspension related and it's the next thing on the list.

Would I recommend the Metzeler M3? Of course!

Would I recommend the Micheline Pilot Power? Yup! ... especially if it might rain while you're on the road.

Would I recommend the D208SM? Not really... There's far better out there.

I have them on my ZX6 and I was able to to corner fast enough (on the street) to put my knee down. Not a squid hang off either, just my normal hang off (1 cheek off). I like them they are a good tire. Race compounds do not usually work well on the street. You can't really get heat in the tire for it to grip like it is designed to do. And after a bunch of heat cycles it will just get crusty and feel like crap.

How many miles did you get out of Metezler M3 and Michelin Pilot Power rear tire? I wore down M1 rears in 2K to 2.5K miles on my motard. I have Coniforce right now, and the rear is looking to be done by 3k.

Have/had the M1's on my R6 and TLR. Would buy em again in a heartbeat for a sportbike. I'm really liking the contiforce SM's on my DRZ though.

I was thinking that I could finally run a super sticky tire on my drz when I get it, but if you guys are getting 3k out of a d208, maybe I should reconsider. Should I be thinking about heat cycles with the pilot race? I really like michelins tires. Are they dual compound?

There are 3 diffrent Pilot tires: Pilot Road, Pilot Power, Pilot Race.

The Pilot race are dual compound, but they are race compounds and will wear very quickly. Most run the Power's here on TT.

I'd hope they would, I got 3000 hard miles, probably at least 300 at IMI out of my 929, 125 hp street bike pilot powers. And anyone thats been to IMI can imagine the braking/acceleration required to hustle a literbike around the track. I was even leaving black marks coming out of corners... guess I was already preparing for a motard! :thumbsup:

They are better than the 208's and you will be plenty satisfied with the mileage on a light relatively low power drz

I have used them on my TLR for track days and the M1 did fine. I can only imagine that it would do even better on a 300 Lb DRZ versus a 500Lb TLR. If the price is good I would not hesitate to get them.

Have not run the M1's on my SM but have used them and the newer M3's on my CBR. These are great tires for road traction. Have not noticed much of a difference between the m1 and m3 except the M3 seems to wear better. The M1's will be on sale at many online stores until the supply is exhausted.

Just got back from the track w/ my DRZ and the M3; they worked really well... Far better than the D208 tires.

Maybe I'll put on the Pilot Race tires next; just have to justify the extra $.