Sign in to follow this  

Aprilia - The Monalisa of dirt bikes

I know a few of you have them but I just thought I'd chime in and tell you my feelings on them since I just saw the 450 duely & motard in a showroom yesterday and I have to say they are the sexist (way nicer then my wife) looking and most exotic looking bikes I ever saw in those categories of motard and duel sport.

They are so sculpture in the flow of design from front to rear that it just makes any other bike look way behind.

Nice enough that it almost makes me want to sell every toy I have just to cough the money up to buy one and maybe I will but I'll wait a year till they have the bugs out.

Worth the 84-8900 you ask. WELL worth it and in even years to come that bike will turn heads where ever you go.

Aprilia gets a huge :thumbsup: from me and a ton of A++++++'s in all kinds of categories.

FREAKIN NICE !!!!!

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=3584&Page=1

:thumbsup: Only a 3 month warranty though, that stinks ! :ride:

So I hear they would take 2.5 hours of work from dealer to remap them or something because they come to USA detuned, is that so?

:thumbsup: Only a 3 month warranty though, that stinks ! :ride:

So I hear they would take 2.5 hours of work from dealer to remap them or something because they come to USA detuned, is that so?

Remapping takes about 10 Minutes

Taking off the inserts in the exhaust and the throttle to get full performance takes an hour or so

Twinshocker

Twinshocker,

I see you have a nice stable of bikes and have been following your posts about the Aprilia. I have had a deposit on the Aprilia since May, they still have not arrived at the local dealer.

Anyway, if you would, please give me the straight deal. Do you like it, should I take one when they get in, or hold off untill next year? I am not sure about changes made to bikes for various countries. Sounds like the computer has a few bugs, how is the general quality and reliability? The looks can't be beat!

Your insight will be greatly appriciated.

:thumbsup::ride:

I hope they have the heat issues sorted out. At the WEC in Canada the right hand side panel was completely melted off every RXV there and at the Italian round, the 550s seat started on fire due to excessive heat from the exhaust!!

They are so sculpture in the flow of design from front to rear that it just makes any other bike look way behind.

The same was said about the Climber 280r trials bike that Aprilia developed in the early '90's. It seems like they like ot dabble, leap ahead and then drop the ball completely. Strange.

I'd like one, I think. I'll never go back to carburetion again unless someone gives it to me!

.......Anyway, if you would, please give me the straight deal. Do you like it, should I take one when they get in, or hold off untill next year? ......

To be honest i am the wrong person to ask that , because i always was into exotic bikes and bought them even when they were not as good as the big 5.

:thumbsup:

But seriously: I like the bike and have until now nothing to complain. But i have several bikes so i don´t ride only the Aprilia.

I cannot decide if you should take one , thats your decision. One major fact is the quality of your dealer and of the importer. It is definitely a bike that needs more know-how as usual at least in the first year until all that injection and electronic stuff is sortetd out.

A friend of mine rides a SVX450 in Supermoto for the German Importer . He is pretty fast. He openend the Motor now after half season , inspected it and just put the bits together. So from the mechanical point the bike seems very good.

I talked to Aprilia people about the changes for 2007 , they said only details will be changed ( suspension setting , injection mapping...) . All the changes can be carried out on the 2006 models as well.

Twinshocker

So has anyone platted one in ca?

I was talking to the local dealer and he says the bike meets all the smog requirments but they dont come to the us as a possible street leagle bike.I was concidering the 550 as a duel sport commuter.If i cant get it platted then whats the point.

More power then the BMW650 Dakar and way lighter.

GP Husqvarna in San Diego has 6 of them (4 on the floor) and they look Hot :thumbsup: . Cycle Worlds test of them was a pluse too. They have three 450's and one super motard on the floor. Josh tells me they are not Ca. Street Legal for 07 even though they look it. Steny

My thoughts: :ride::applause::applause:

The future of 4 stroke motorcycles is here. :thumbsup:

Amazing that it comes from such a small manufacturer! :applause:

The Big5 reactions to this bike... :applause:

The only that scares me about those Aprilias is the lack of frame protection underneath the motor. Imagine the energy of the rider and bike slamming down on a boulder, all of it focused into a fancy alluminum motor. Other than that, it seems like a great rig.

new aprilia supermoto's are fricken beautifull and probobly amazing power....but with anything italian its gota be worked on more than anything japanease.....i want an aprilia, but im wondering if the price and maintenance is worth it