Sign in to follow this  

Need Beefier Suspension on 02 XR400

I'm about 6 foot 270lbs... I can haul ass on my XR, but when it comes to whoops or jump situations, i know my suspension is getting the worst of it... I'm wondering can I take my stock forks and have them adjusted to handle my bigger weight. I would probably need to get a new rear spring I'm assuming, or am I able to adjust that as well?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Yes with a re-valve and heavier springs (on both ends) the suspension can be made to accomidate your weight and riding ability quite well.

I'd get new springs first, front and back. The RaceTech website should have some charts to tell you what spring rates are right for your weight.

Install the the new springs, or have them installed, and then set your race sag correctly. Then ride the bike and mess with the compression/rebound settings until you find the combination you like best.

If you're still not happy after all that, then it's time to revalve.

If money is no object, just pay a suspension shop to do it all at once, like rockjockey said.

money is so/so... I dont mind spending a decent buck to get the bike where it needs to be, but I'd rather not go crazy on it either... I'll have to call up the local honda place to see what they say.. they actually dont charge that much.. i was impressed to hear my friend paid a little over $100 to get his CR250 looked at, and had some things changed.. parts/labor included

You definitely need both ends re sprung for your weight. While you are at it you can also have them re-valved for your riding ability and type of riding you do. It will make a world of difference in how fast you can go or should I say how fast your bike will let you go.

money is so/so... I dont mind spending a decent buck to get the bike where it needs to be, but I'd rather not go crazy on it either... I'll have to call up the local honda place to see what they say.. they actually dont charge that much.. i was impressed to hear my friend paid a little over $100 to get his CR250 looked at, and had some things changed.. parts/labor included
AFP520, just remember that your local Honda shop might know their stuff, or they might not. Most of the guys in the shop nearest me (in Gilroy) don't know their asses from an exhaust baffle. Seriously, these guys actually represent Honda, and I find out more than they know about stuff that breaks on my bike, and what parts I need, just by checking here on ThumperTalk... Every time I go in there I get bum information on something... Your local shop may be different; all I'm saying is don't take what they tell you as gospel just because they've got a sign that says, "Honda"...

When you talk to your local shop, if they tell you you DON'T need new springs, that right there should make you walk away from them forever. At 270lbs, you definitely need new springs front and back.

The right order to fix suspension problems:

1. If necessary, install new springs to match your weight.

2. Set your race sag.

3. Adjust compression/rebound clickers as needed.

4. Play with oil weight/levels in the forks as a last resort, before you...

5. Pay for a custom revalving of your forks first, then your shock, or both at same time, if money is no object.

A lot of people just pay for the revalving when they get new springs, and that's cool too if you can afford it.

Honda shops are good for purchasing a bike or if you need an OEM part but, they are typically not suspension experts. Remember when choosing your suspension components and tuners they do not sell Rolex's at Walmart. (You get out of it what you put in it). If you truely want it to ride like a cadillac and not beat you up it is not cheap. Granted you can go overboard too but do some research and you will find a happy medium you can live with. Good luck with it.

well the bike is never ridden on road... it is strictly offroad... I am a big guy, but man I love to jump... I'm not talking like doubles/triples in MX.. but if I find a trail that might have a jump in it, I wont resist hitting it... So I'm looking for pretty stiff.. I guess I'll have to take the bike to a place I know of in jersey.. they have their own race team so I'm sure they'll know whats best for me and the bike..