Sign in to follow this  

Son's Progress-LONG

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone again who gave me suggestions to help him learn to ride. I took those suggestions and adapted them to our environment. They worked very well.

First I went through helping pick up the bike. It's inevitable, we all fall down at one point or another. Some of us can yank them up and some of us can't. I showed him how *I* pick up my street bike, using the procedure found here: http://www.pinkribbonrides.com/dropped.html (similar to it).

Next were figure 8's. First we discussed sticking the foot out and where I've read it needs to be. We went inside so I could show him a couple of short videos and pictures online of people riding in dirt. I had him study their body positioning, where they put their foot and when they used it. I also pointed out that they had their butts off the seat and when. The boy was like a sponge, soaking up everything I could show and tell him.

By this time, Wade, my hubby, had some home. He took him back outside and let him cold start the bike (so he could use the choke himself). He was going to let him ride for a bit to get comfortable before beginning to drill him using the suggestions you guys gave. But Sebastian (my son) went right into doing figure 8's. I have several trees on my land that make good markers. He would go around one way a few times, then turn around and go again. At first he started going wide, but began making the turns a little sharper and learning how and when to put his feet out. He was also figuring out the hows and whens of standing and weighting the outside peg in turns. You could hear him slow down entering a turn, then rolling on the throttle during exit. No one had to tell him. He did this on his own. I'm impressed. Really impressed. He rode for about an hour. Break time. We had to make him stop.

Next, we worked on throttle control and braking with him. Instead of using a board for him to roll over, we used out outside chairs for markers. First, We started out with 2 a good bit apart. He'd start at one, then stop at the other. After doing this just a couple of times, we started adding chairs (markers) to the line. Eventually we had 5 lined up. Each time he'd go through them, he'd ride a figure 8 afterward. Since he couldn't see what we were doing, we'd move the chairs each time. We'd put two really close together and one far apart, or we'd take some out. We'd mix it up on him each time. He never knew what he'd have when he came back around. Sometimes we'd have them far enough apart to where he'd have to shift into another gear, so he'd have to downshift to stop (another point we discussed with him). He didn't stall out once.

To help him even more with throttle control, Wade came up with the idea of showing him a rolling stop. He caught on very quick, not stalling or dumping the bike. We left our chairs lined up evenly for a couple of rounds to let him get a feel, then began mixing those up AND we made certain ones mean certain things. The green chairs were for rolling stops and the white chairs were for complete stops. Some were close together, some not. We'd take some out and put them back in. It was always different. We'd also walk in front of him or throw up an old stop sign we had at different places and times. This was to test his reaction and what he'd do. You could see the panic in his eyes, but he always done well. Not once did he stall or dump the bike, nor did he run us over! :thumbsup:

I apologize for such a long post. But I wanted to show what we've done and to see what other basics am I missing that he needs to learn (and possibly myself)? What are some other drills I can put him through? By the end of yesterday, he was tearing through yard, slinging dirt everywhere, just like we do when we ride on our land.

What's next? I'm at a loss. I'm going to run the same drills with him this afternoon. I know he's going to ask me if there's anything new to learn.

See, he has his heart set on going to the track this weekend and trying out the kiddie track. I don't know if it's too soon for him or if just more practice with what we've taught him so far is good enough. (it's all we had when we went, but we're bigger too. LoL)

Ideas? Suggestions?

See, he has his heart set on going to the track this weekend and trying out the kiddie track.
Try hitting the kiddie track on a practice day (usually deserted at our track) and let him tear it up :thumbsup: .

Most of the kiddie tracks are really mellow, easy enough for critters to get around on PW50's, or even training wheel equipped XR50's. He'll have a blast.

Good job on getting him going correctly. Keep his focus on riding properly, and before you know it, he'll be wanting a 85cc bike for the big track.

Once he gets the basics down, I think it's time to get him on the kiddie track or some easy trails.

I'm looking forward to the next edition. I always love hearing about new riders learning this great sport.

Ever heard the expression, "Hold that Tiger!"???

Well, hold on, mom...because you've just created a monster! Get him to the track so he can learn to ride with others (passing and being passed).

Congratulations and kudos for being so hands on :thumbsup:

Sounds Awesome - get ready to spend some serious $$$. I remember my son begged me to take him to a track about a year ago. He was 7 & had a stock crf50. We took him to the track & he convinced me to let him race the following week. He quickly moved up to a modified 50 (88cc) & a tougher class. Two months ago we bought him a Kawasaki KX65. He did not want to race on the little track anymore so we moved to the big track. All the other kids were older & had more experience so he finished last out of 13. Each race he gets a little better. This last weekend he finished 8th in the first moto & 9th in the second moto. We spend about $1200 per month on him at the track. He practices every tuesday & friday with a coach & races on Saturday. Even though its hard to spend that kind of money its worth it. He has been working very hard lately. A few weeks ago he tried to jump the second double. The only kid in his class that jumps it wins every week. My son was crashing frequently but he persisted. Last night at practice he finally go it down. He did it about 20 times in a row perfect. He is so excited to use it in the race this weekend. Have fun keep working with him & remember sometimes its 2 steps forwards 1 step back - be patient.

Sounds Awesome - get ready to spend some serious $$$. I remember my son begged me to take him to a track about a year ago. He was 7 & had a stock crf50. We took him to the track & he convinced me to let him race the following week. He quickly moved up to a modified 50 (88cc) & a tougher class. Two months ago we bought him a Kawasaki KX65. He did not want to race on the little track anymore so we moved to the big track. All the other kids were older & had more experience so he finished last out of 13. Each race he gets a little better. This last weekend he finished 8th in the first moto & 9th in the second moto. We spend about $1200 per month on him at the track. He practices every tuesday & friday with a coach & races on Saturday. Even though its hard to spend that kind of money its worth it. He has been working very hard lately. A few weeks ago he tried to jump the second double. The only kid in his class that jumps it wins every week. My son was crashing frequently but he persisted. Last night at practice he finally go it down. He did it about 20 times in a row perfect. He is so excited to use it in the race this weekend. Have fun keep working with him & remember sometimes its 2 steps forwards 1 step back - be patient.

Great story...keep us posted on his progress :thumbsup:

Awesome! :ride::thumbsup:

My son is 11 and riding my TTR125. I know it's really not a track bike (more for trail riding, right? ) but I think for a beginner, it will be fine. My husband is now telling me I no longer own a dirty, my son has taken it over. That's fine, though. I'm happy I've finally found something he can get into besides games. I definitely don't want to push him. I don't have to. He's been pushing himself. :applause: I'm really and truly amazed at how quickly he's picked it up and how hard he tries. I'm just really happy that he's finally found something that puts a smile on his face like I've never seen before. Not even when we put him in baseball for the first time (something he wanted to do) did he act like this.

I don't mind giving up my bike for him to ride. I think I enjoy watching how much he enjoys it as much as I enjoy riding myself. Besides, it gives us an excuse to get another one. :applause:

Now we're planning on taking him to the track this weekend to ride the kiddie track. I'll teach him there about hills, since I really don't have any around to teach him on. I'm a little hesitant about putting him on the track so soon, but that could be the "mama" in me. :applause:

Once again, thanks for all the suggestions and advice. Here's a quick pic of him riding the other day. He "borrows" my gear too. :applause: (this is his first day riding--his body position is MUCH better now)

pdr_2266.jpg

Too long??

Nope, it was great! Sounds to me like he already has a good start on the basics they will be working on at the kiddie track. If you can sign him up for a class at the track, even better:)

pdr_2266.jpg

I hope he is wearing full boots. For me, boots are the 2nd most important gear after a helmet. If he's wearing boots, disregard this and keep up the good work.

If he isn't, get him some immediately. I took a spill just the other day that would have definitely broke my foot/ankle if not for my boots.

Great job mom!!! If he is having fun you are on the right track. Find a riding school that is close that stresses the fundimentals, don't worry about jumps and all that stuff yet. Gary Semics has a very good program for riders just starting out. It's like learning the piano or anything else, get the fundimentals right early, and everything else will follow. Go to the school with your son and learn the fundimentals with him so you can reinforce what he learned later on. If you don't have a good school close, the Semics videos are excellent as well. Keep up the good work mom and make sure it stays FUN.

I hope he is wearing full boots. For me, boots are the 2nd most important gear after a helmet. If he's wearing boots, disregard this and keep up the good work.

If he isn't, get him some immediately. I took a spill just the other day that would have definitely broke my foot/ankle if not for my boots.

ahhh I hate wearing riding boots. When I get a bigger bike I'll probably start wearing them.... better boots will most likely be more comfortable right?

ahhh I hate wearing riding boots. When I get a bigger bike I'll probably start wearing them.... better boots will most likely be more comfortable right?

Yes, but they're all pretty stiff at first. Need to wear 'em to break 'em in...

:thumbsup:

Spend the money on the better boots .I wear A-stars Tech 6 now and used to wear Fox Tracker boots. The A-stars are more comfy, better fitting, and more protective. Downside is they are heavier. But boots are like helmets, the more expensive boots are usually the better ones for you. :ride: