Sign in to follow this  

06 YZ250 Gnarly or Platinum II?

Anyone have any experience with these two pipes on the newer YZ250 engines and what'd ya think? Also, did you use the stock silencer, a shorty, or what?

Thanks a bunch

Joe :thumbsup:

IMHO, the stock pipe is the best. If you're riding off-road the FMF Gnarly works well. If you are a fast motocrosser the PC Platinum shrieks up high. If you're of average ability or want the best all around go w/the stocker.

Do a search. I believe RCannon posted a pipe shootout awhile back. I think he ended up preferring the stocker and/or the DEP offering.

what kind of riding do you do? if those are your 2 options, then decide by this. mx = pc, woods = gnarly.

• Like 1

what kind of riding do you do? if those are your 2 options, then decide by this. mx = pc, woods = gnarly.

It's honestly about 1/2 and 1/2. I also really like bikes to have the majority of the power in the bottom and mid-range. The stock pipe works great, but requires a bit more clutching and keeping it up in the revs than I prefer. I've had some experience with a gnarly before but was curious if anyone has used the platinum II (same concept as the gnarly, just pro circuits version)

I have the platnum 2. It does add to the bottom but it killed the top. I ride mostly trails and some track. I also have the PC works pipe, but I run the stock pipe with the PC R304 silencer. To me it works best. You could always gear your bike down to keep the revs where you want them.

if you are half and half, try either a fatty, or sst pipe from fmf. they add a lot down low.

I have the platnum 2. It does add to the bottom but it killed the top. I ride mostly trails and some track. I also have the PC works pipe, but I run the stock pipe with the PC R304 silencer. To me it works best. You could always gear your bike down to keep the revs where you want them.

My thoughts exactly, go with a couple more teeth on the rear sprocket not a pipe

The stock pipe really is the best for what your doing. I have triend lots of pipe on my yz. My credit card statement will prove this.

You could add a DEP pipe, but you sure dont have to .

I have not tried the bills pipe. If I can find one on ebay, I probably will get one.

Before you spend your money on a pipe, I highly recomend the power blade inserts for getting a bit more bottom to mid range grunt. You will probably need to rejet the pilot curcuit (leaner) once installed but deffinately a good mod.

I'm using a HGS pipe which gives a good boost right across the rev range, not sure how much it would give an 06 though as they seem to be pretty good staight out of the box.

• Like 1

I have a gnarly on my 05 and LOVE IT!!! for mountains. I think I'll probably use stock for desert riding, but I don't know yet, I'll have to see how the gnarly does down there in moab, there is technical stuff there too.

The gnarly pulls really hard right off the bottom and gives tons of torque, it's really fun on steep technical stuff, but the top end does suffer, it does not get up and really go on top like the stocker. For slower riding, the gnarly is the best mod I've found, I like it better than a flywheel weight or even re-gearing (although gearing is very cheap, especially up front). Hope that help you in your quest.....

I can see a smooth low end powerband for Moab. You guys woudl have to see Moab to understand. Its almost like god designed this area for his own offroad enjoyment.

The place is completly amazing. great traction from the sandstone type rock formations. You could almost use a street tire. A trials tire woudl probably be the perfect tire.

In playing with the various pipes I own one thing stands out.

Yamaha did an excelent job in designing the stock 06 system. It is easy to change the performance, but difficult to improve it. The dep pipe is an improvement, for me.

When you start changing several things it is very easy to end up right where you started.

Thanks everyone. On a related note, anyone have any opinions on the shorty vs full length muffler?

if you are half and half, try either a fatty, or sst pipe from fmf. they add a lot down low.

The stock YZ250 pipe truly is the best all-around compromise. The Fatty runs little different than stock. The Pro Circuit will add a slight amount of over-rev, but it has a tendency to make the YZ250 ping when the jetting is correct. The SST would be my last choice for any bike, it's a piece of garbage.

This was originally written by Steve (Moto814):

The FMF SST pipe is an amazing pipe.

Why is it amazing? Because in just about every case, it will work WORSE than the stock pipe that came on the bike.

The SST uses a restrictive reverse cone and pressure bleed to intensify the return wave and lower the initial flow out the stinger section of the pipe. What that in turn does is increase piston crown temperatures and make jetting difficult at best.

Now increased piston crown temperatures can be compensated for to some extent with richer jetting. But, by doing that you are defeating the purpose of the pipe, and negating any power gain you may have gotten from the pipe in the first place. Why are increased piston crown temperatures bad? Well, in some cases they are not. You see most bikes are jetted horribly rich from the factory, and raising the piston crown temps in this case will "fool" the engine into thinking it is jetted leaner than it is. Which will in some cases improve power. But in most cases, it will just cause slightly better throttle response and an increase in the spooge out the back of the pipe.

After all that you may be thinking: "well this doesn't sound so bad, why are they saying this pipe is no good?" Good question. Here's the answer. Because of the restrictive nature of the pressure bleed from the pipe, it does not evacuate as efficiently as it needs to. This combined with the piston crown temperature increase yeilds jetting that is too rich. So now you have a pipe that "fools" the engine into thinking it is leaner than it really is, but also makes it much richer than it was previously. Here in lies the second problem. It makes jetting a nightmare. If you jet it by feel, you will be jetting richer, and compounding the too rich condition even more, making the bike run like a slug. If you jet it leaner, you will be increasing piston crown temperatures even more resulting in an engine siezure. Catch-22 anyone?

If you are buying a pipe for your bike, get ANY other pipe. Or better yet, keep the stock pipe.

Short vs long silencers. Yes, I am a silencer whore as well.

I have a pro circuit shorty. It does spice up the low end. It takes a bit away from the top. My favorite silencer is my SRS silencer. It gives a great top end rush. It is also beautiful. Its good looking enough to use even if it cost power, which it does not.

The stock silencer is really good. I also like my full length dep silencer. It is about 1 inch shorter than stock.

Again, its one of those give to get things.

Oddly enough my pro circuit silencer with spark arrestor is really good on this bike. No complaints at all. Plus it is super quiet. It is LONG....

Its not as if any silencer makes this bike a slug. I would describe the pro circuit short silencer as if it makes the bike run like the main jet is two sizes too large (the jet was right on the money). Just enough of a decrease to know the difference. Is it worth 40 if you can find one on ebay??? Probably for entertainment value.

I have a gnarly on my 05 and LOVE IT!!! for mountains. I think I'll probably use stock for desert riding, but I don't know yet, I'll have to see how the gnarly does down there in moab, there is technical stuff there too.

The gnarly pulls really hard right off the bottom and gives tons of torque, it's really fun on steep technical stuff, but the top end does suffer, it does not get up and really go on top like the stocker. For slower riding, the gnarly is the best mod I've found, I like it better than a flywheel weight or even re-gearing (although gearing is very cheap, especially up front). Hope that help you in your quest.....

This is the only post in this thread that talks specifically about how the Gnarly works for someone. Any other similar experiences?

I need right off idle torque/pull. I plan to get the squish set and run a JD needle. I think these combined with the Gnarly will be REALLY good - agree?

Right off idle..torque pull. The zip ty racing pipe is great in this range. It feels like it pulls from about 5 prm's. The stock pipe pulls great here also. The difference is the explosive feel of the stock pipe vs the smooth and strong feel of the zip ty. Which style are you looking for? Its really easy to build this part of the powerband up too much. High compression makes an incredible difference. Let rb know what you want, and you'll get it. LOL Now, make sure you want it!

Right off idle..torque pull. The zip ty racing pipe is great in this range. It feels like it pulls from about 5 prm's. The stock pipe pulls great here also. The difference is the explosive feel of the stock pipe vs the smooth and strong feel of the zip ty. Which style are you looking for? Its really easy to build this part of the powerband up too much. High compression makes an incredible difference. Let rb know what you want, and you'll get it. LOL Now, make sure you want it!

I like the stock pipe - I even have two spares sittin' round. I just figure the Gnarly is different. I even had a Gnarly before on my '04 but my skillz have progressed and now my bike is an '07 with a Rekluse and proper suspension - essentially a way different bike altogether for woods work. If the stocker is abrupt then I'm all for it. It feels a little too smooth right off idle for me. :worthy:

I'm comfortable going at the mid range of the OEM pipe where it hits hard but then I'm going too fast for the terrain. I'm running 14/52 - could be time to pop on a 13 front CS and go from there instead. I can't deny that I like bright shiny pipes though. :banana: :banana: :banana:

I like the stock pipe - I even have two spares sittin' round. I just figure the Gnarly is different. I even had a Gnarly before on my '04 but my skillz have progressed and now my bike is an '07 with a Rekluse and proper suspension - essentially a way different bike altogether for woods work. If the stocker is abrupt then I'm all for it. It feels a little too smooth right off idle for me. :worthy:

I'm comfortable going at the mid range of the OEM pipe where it hits hard but then I'm going too fast for the terrain. I'm running 14/52 - could be time to pop on a 13 front CS and go from there instead. I can't deny that I like bright shiny pipes though. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Sounds like you got it with the gearing thats one of those things thats alot of B for the B fusts ends up murdering you top speed IF that matters. I also liked the Vforce 3 with the spacer, 13/49 was good for low gearing,13/50 was great for near vert trails, little too low for me. 14/52=3.71 13/49=3.77 13/50=3.85