Sign in to follow this  

Fresh meats or not when selling a bike?

We all know it sounds and looks way better if you have brand new sneaks on but I am wondering if the bike needs them if it's better to sell it with giving the customer a few options like ............

1) Buy the bike and I will install tires of your choice (depending on the deal, he pays or you pay)

2) Buy a brand that suits a broad range of riding terrain and install before sale

3) Just simply sell the bike as is

Mine are not really too bad yet but I chose #2 to do I think unless of course some opinions change my mind. I just think it makes the sale much more appealing when you sell a "jump on and ride" bike rather then the buyer must take it home and rip in to the mechanicals of it right away.

For # 2, what would be a good pair for east coast Pennsylvania intermeadiate tracks and should I go with real juice ones or bargin ones like Maxxis or Kenda?

:ride: I'm not up to date on the newest intermeadiate tires so feel free to fill me in on the selection out there. Any free shipping deals out there at the momement?

Thanks !!!! :thumbsup:

Sell the bike as it is. Especially if there is decent tread on both ends. If you Armour All (or tire shine) them they should look decent.

If I remember correctly, one of the mags had an article on selling used bikes a while back and they suggested that you should never sell a used dirt bike w/new tires. It's like throwing $ out the window. Chances are, you're going to get what the market is bearing for your particular bike, regardless of new tires or not. Personally, when I've purchased new bikes I usually change the stockers right away and save them for resale. The CRF Dunlop 742 is a good example of this method.

I would put Maxxis IT tires on it and call it good. You can get them from Rocky Mountain MC for pretty cheap.

They're a great intermediate tire. Been running their IT rear for 3 or 4 years now.

I dont know why, but brand new cheap tires and a super duty elcheapo chain and sprockets will sell a bike quicker than without. A primary drive budget chain an sprockets will only set you back about 45 bucks total. Throw some mega cheap Kendas on there...sell it to some trail rider guy that doesnt know the difference and call it good.

Offer to knock $100 off and tell the buyer he can get the tires he wants. Everyone has a different favorite tire.

I dont know why, but brand new cheap tires and a super duty elcheapo chain and sprockets will sell a bike quicker than without. A primary drive budget chain an sprockets will only set you back about 45 bucks total. Throw some mega cheap Kendas on there...sell it to some trail rider guy that doesnt know the difference and call it good.

Thats how its done! :thumbsup:

Thats how its done! :thumbsup:

Yea I agree but my tires are no where near trashed, the rear sprocket is a iron man sprocket with no wear and front is new and chain is a nice EK X ring with a lot of life yet, so I'll stick with how it is now and still offer to install new tires if the buyer wants new meats but I'd use what's on it for a while, for sure.

Yea I agree but my tires are no where near trashed, the rear sprocket is a iron man sprocket with no wear and front is new and chain is a nice EK X ring with a lot of life yet, so I'll stick with how it is now and still offer to install new tires if the buyer wants new meats but I'd use what's on it for a while, for sure.

I'd just sell as-is. Your not gonna get any more $$ for the bike for doing this - I certainly wouldnt pay more for a used bike cuz it's got new tires on it. You will prolly sell it quicker by offering to do this (I've never heard of someone being so generous while selling thier bike), but wont get any more $$ I think...