Sign in to follow this  

Speed and safety with non-full sized trailer tires..?

I've been looking into trailers lately second hand... My concern is the tire size however. I assume such tires are good for at least 55mph, right?

Anyone have any input on smaller trailer tires and safety?

trailer_1.jpg

Thanks

Careful with the 8" and even the 12" wheels and tires. Their bearings need to be taken care of often or else you could burn them up. The best thing you can do is get a set of timken bearings and then pack them a couple of times a year at least.

So maintenance is the concern and I'll be good? There's not a speed rating I should be concerned with?

So maintenance is the concern and I'll be good? There's not a speed rating I should be concerned with?

Speed is always a concern. Not so much in forward movement but in stoping. you could probablly pull that thing all day long at 70mph if you keep the bearings properly maintained but slam on your brakes for a panic stop and the trailer may hop skip and jump around you'll have a problem. Just tow it at a sain speed and increase your following distance and always see and know your "out" and you'll be fine with it. And don't be afraid to stop once or twice on your longer trips and take the back of your hand and place it close to the wheel in the bearing area and feel if there is heat or not if it feels hot stop and let em cool for a bit before you carry on.

Yeah... a small tire spinning so fast was my main concern.

With my car I'd be very very careful with pulling it, but my buddy has a Tundra which isnt phased too bad by this much weight.

Yeah... a small tire spinning so fast was my main concern.

With my car I'd be very very careful with pulling it, but my buddy has a Tundra which isnt phased too bad by this much weight.

it's small and light it wouldn't be the pushing the tow vehicle outta the way i'd worry about it'd be the trailer bouncing all over the place and getting air born and sideways. I'd also check the tire rating on the tires themselves they may explode if you run them for too long at a given speed. i'm not sure they are speed rated the same as car tires