Sign in to follow this  

The lowdown on knee braces

Having done much research on the extensive topic of knee brace protection, I have come to a conclusion that there is indeed no right or wrong answer. It seems as either you settle for more frequent, less painful knee injuries, or you take the rare, but painful potentially fatal femur injury.(Long Bone Injuries) With that in mind, you hear that the best protection is to be in great shape. I would like to think that guys like Carmichael and Reed are in the upmost shape, is it true they to wear knee braces? From what I have heard, Windham for one doesnt, but what about the others? Any body else have a belief or opinion on this matter??

Professional are paid big bucks to wear their sunglasses, ride cetain bikes, wear certain jerseys as well as knee braces.

The big guys get paid more for being seen in their XYZ braces than us working slobs get at out day jobs.

i dont think he said not to wear them. He just said it doesnt matter which pair the pro's wear, they are paid to wear them, so utmost protection is not on their "money list". I wear them, and would not ride without them. I would much rather break a bone than mess up my knee. But if your femur breaks, its not cause of your knee brace, its because your leg got bent the wrong way buddy.

AnotherRedHead,

Before you say that you would rather break a bone than mess up your knee, check out posts on KTM talk, by KTMissouri.

He came within inches of death from a brace related/off road motorcycling femur fracture and he as alot to say about the differences between outpatient arthroscopic surgery and buying the farm.

He is not the only one of my friends/patients with the same story.

I have come to a conclusion that there is indeed no right or wrong answer. It seems as either you settle for more frequent, less painful knee injuries, or you take the rare, but painful potentially fatal femur injury.

I dont think you can quite look at it that way either.

I was wearing a pair of a CTI2s that were molded for my knees when I hyper-extended my knee and blew my ACL when landing from a jump hard with my legs straight . I took my CTI's into my first visit with the ortho doc and he immediately said the same thing Dr Mark has been saying.... "Those things would never prevent the kind of injury you had and I'd suggest not wearing them at all". I just wear a neoprene sleeve and knee guards now.

What about the Innovative Sports "Morph" braces that are supposedly made so the top portion of the brace breaks off in order to avoid a broken femur?

I am also interested in hearing more info specificly on the MORPH brace and how the top is supposed to disengage during hard crash. That sounds like a good feature in a brace. Lets hear about it !!!!!!