Sign in to follow this  

06' YZ250 detonation @ 1/4-1/3 throttle

Bone stock except for a FMF turbine core II. Air screw is set to 1 1/8 turns, otherwise jetting is untouched from the factory. I ride primarily at 1000-1500ft, 70-80f, minor to no humidity and the bike flat rips. Throttle response is good, never fouled a plug and pulls like crazy on 91 octane and Amsoil Dominator @ 32:1.

I've noticed what I think is detonation just before the bike gets 'on the pipe' at 1/4 to 1/3 throttle. I've never had a 2-stroke that pings before so I'm not exactly positive thats what it is, but I'm failrly certain. I dont notice anything prior to 1/4 throttle or after 1/2 throttle so I'm unsure if its the pilot circuit, the main or the needle. I'd prefer to run pump gas, but not willing to burn a hole in my piston. Anyone have experience with this on the new YZ's? Any advice?

Keihin provides tuning information that describes which carb circuits are effective at different throttle openings. Detonation usually indicates lean, so it sounds like you need to richen the 1/4 - 1/3 throttle range. Looking at the chart, you might try to raise the needle (lower the clip) one position and see if it helps. Alternatively, you can try higher octane fuel.

Another alternative is the optional N3CJ needle (Yamaha PN 4SR-14916-CJ-00) which is 1/2 clip position leaner than your stock N3EJ needle. You can try it one clip position richer than the standard clip position on your N3EJ needle.

Seems odd that it would deto with such small throttle openings. In my experience, deto generally happens only with the high cylinder pressures found with WOT. Just a though....

The optional needle took care of the pinging on my 06 yz 250. I had the identical problem you did. Your bike should have came with the N3EW, I believe. This needle, in the second position, is slightly more rich than standard.

The pinging will also go away with race gas.

I had a jd jetting kit from my old yz 250. It worked very well in my new one and I am currently using one of the jd needles.

Just keep in mind the jetting is only a band-aid. The real problem is less than good fuel. Maybe we are not paying enough at the pump to get good stuff??? LOL