Sign in to follow this  

RM250 Conversion

Hi guys, I mostly post in the Honda forum but I have a conversion question for you Suzuki guys. What side of the bike is the chain on?

I can get a 1993 rmx with a blown engine for $300. I want to do a conversion (I've been doing alot of tig welding at work and I'm getting better). I don't know what engine could go in the there either.

Any input from somebody who's done this before would be great.

Thanks KC.

Every Suzuki that I have had, has the chain on the left. But they have all been newer DR-Z's.

As far as I can remember, EVERY Suzuki had the chain on the shifter side. I would like to know if there was EVER a Suzuki with a right side chain. :thumbsup:

Cool, thanks for the response's. How big a 4 stroke do you guys think would fit in the 250 frame? There is a place around here that sell 4 stokes but the biggest is a 200cc and there Chinese.link

I would like to put the DR350 in if I can find one.

A DR350 motor would be cool (6-speed!)

Your main concern will be to make sure the countershaft sprocket of the new motor will match the position of the old motor. What happens with most swaps like this is that the lower frame rails (under the engine) have to be re-located down (4-stroke motors are taller than 2-stroke motors) to make the countershafts line up. If both of the engines are designed so that the swingarm bolt passing through the cases, the countershaft position kind of takes care itself. :thumbsup:

How big a 4 stroke do you guys think would fit in the 250 frame?

I would like to put the DR350 in if I can find one.

I know that you want to sink your teeth into a great project. I would recommend that, for your first conversion, you try something a little less aggressive. There is a bunch of experience around XR100 / CR85 conversions. Here is a link to one that I did.

There are so many issues to be worked out with a conversion. There is a bunch of learning that you do throughout the course of the project. Unless you are very experienced (meaning that you have done it before), you could produce a bike that won't hold together. The engine mounting for a 350 needs to be much stronger than for a 100. The frame needs to be stronger to handle the larger weight. How do you know that your frame won't break at a bad time (like when you are going fast and hit a jump)?

In the end, if you put a big four stroke engine into a big two stroke frame, most people will say "Why?" There are great four stroke motocross bikes on the market. What does not exist, are 150 or 170cc motocross bikes. Thus, you will have a chance to sell the bike afterward, make some money, and plan for your next project.

Thanks guys, you have both made very valid points. My main concern is making the drive sprocket line up with the rear sprocket. The truth is I don't know what I'm doing when it come to conversions.

The only reason I want to do the RMX250 is because its so cheap (the cylinder, cylinder head, and power valves are missing) depending on how easy it is to find the parts $300 is a good deal. Maybe I can repair the old engine, sell it, and use the money for a CR80 conversion. It all depends on what the parts cost. If I go to the dealer I will get raped, that is probably why the seller hasn't fix it yet.

I will let you guys know tomorrow. If I buy the bike it will be on Friday... before my wife come home and gives me shit. :thumbsup:

I know that you want to sink your teeth into a great project. I would recommend that, for your first conversion, you try something a little less aggressive. There is a bunch of experience around XR100 / CR85 conversions. Here is a link to one that I did.

Hey DR DRZ, you did an awesome job documenting your conversion.

One question for you, when you made the lowerframe tubing Did you bend it yourself or did you get it done at a metal shop?

Well the prick sold it yesterday after saying he would hold it for me. Buying used bikes is a cut throat business. I'm so mad I think I'm going to kick my dog.

Did you bend it yourself or did you get it done at a metal shop?

I bent it myself. When I do my next project, I will purchase a much better bender than I have now. After all, projects are just excuses to buy more tools.

Do you think this would work. I know its cheap and made in china but.... maybe I can get my work to buy it. Bender

Do you think this would work. I know its cheap and made in china but.... maybe I can get my work to buy it. Bender

That looks pretty much like the one that I used. Make sure and get thicker walled tubing, or it will crimp.