Sign in to follow this  

Decel Valve-IMPORTANT

I finally figured out what 2 dealers couldn't. Since a top end rebuild almost a year ago(!), my DRZ-E wouldn't hit top revs, would drop in rpm's TOO slow when throttled down, had all the classic symptoms of running too lean. Carburator was taken apart by at least 3 different mechanics. I finally decided to remove the decel valve as suggested somewhere on this site. The tiny cover on the dashpot was leaking! TO ANYONE WHO NEEDS TO KNOW, WHO HAS A DRZ RUNNING AS IF TOO LEAN, SIMPLY REMOVE THE VACUUM LINE FROM THE INTAKE MANIFOLD AND BLOW OR SUCK (no joke intended). THERE SHOULD BE NO AIR LOSE, SINCE THIS IS A SEALED CIRCUIT, GOES NOWHERE EXCEPT AGAINST THE DIAPHRAGM TO OPERATE THE VALVE. It's a sealed chamber, or should be! Easy test, no tools required, no carb teardown. Save yourself a lot of heartache.

CAN ANYONE TELL ME, is there supposed to be a gasket under the dashpot cover?? Mine does not have one.

Thanks,

~Robert~

You should have found a self sealing Diaphragm and a spring under that cover.

Yes, the diaphragm and spring were there, but there is no gasket aroung the pin hole vacuum passage, which goes to the diaphragm chamber,and that's where it was leaking. ~R~

So are you wanting to fix it or remove it? Should be lots of "take-offs" laying around in garages if you need one. If you remove it, you need to rejet the "air jet" assuming you plug the 3 nipples.

Yes, the diaphragm and spring were there, but there is no gasket aroung the pin hole vacuum passage, which goes to the diaphragm chamber,and that's where it was leaking. ~R~

the pin on the diaphram doesnt have a seal, it pushes against a ball and spring which blocks off that vent to the upper, main diaphram-too many diaphrams, lets call the big one a slide chamber or something. What is the correct term for that thing?

I wanted to remove it, but what is the "air jet," where is it, and what size is needed? What about running a hose between the 2 nipples that would have the same affect as the valve always being open.

Thanks for your info. I've been riding and wrenching for 42 years, but these new carburators baffle me.

What about running a hose between the 2 nipples that would have the same affect as the valve always being open.

yes,it does.

I wanted to remove it, but what is the "air jet," where is it, and what size is needed? What about running a hose between the 2 nipples that would have the same affect as the valve always being open.

Thanks for your info. I've been riding and wrenching for 42 years, but these new carburators baffle me.

check out ron ayers micro fiche. Dont have a link but they're on here in other threads, do a search. It will show you how everything goes together.