Sign in to follow this  

Thumb Throttle Feedback

I was just reading a thread about thumb throttles on a bike in the wr/yz 250 forum and I did a search on it and couldn't find where anybody here used one, if anybody does please give some feed back on it. Good or bad let me know.

All info is appreciated.

My buddy is a quad guy (raced them most of his adult life), and has had good success with thumb throttle on a dirt bike. He had it on his CRF450 and now has a thumb throttle set-up on his WR450. I have rode both with the thumb throttle, and it's actually not that bad (you definately don't "panic rev" as easily). I think in both instances, he just used throttle parts from similar 4-wheelers (i.e., 450R Honda and YZF450 Yamaha).

INteresting stuff. The vast majority of agressive/faster quad riders I know put twist throttles on their quads. I've been thinking about a thumb clutch on the left side of the bars for a long time and just never bothered to try it. How about a thumb rear brake in the same location? You could corner/slide with a foot down to either side...good stuff!

A thumb clutch? You must be out of your mind, your thumb would be killed in a matter of minutes.

I think you would have to get a longer arm piece at the bottom(the piece that sticks out of the clutch that the bottom part of your cable attaches to) to make it so u can have a soft enough pull on the thumb. lot of work.

hmm. now i may be wrong, but i was always under the impression that the main reason for a thumb throttle is that the average quad owner is too much of a freakin' skill-less retard to be able to grip the bars correctly and safely operate a twist throttle. i know riding aggressively offroad, i would not be comfortable with anything that interfered with my grip, and i think i like my thumb helping to hold on to the bars when i wheelie-drop through g-outs in the dezert at 55mph.

hmm. now i may be wrong, but i was always under the impression that the main reason for a thumb throttle is that the average quad owner is too much of a freakin' skill-less retard to be able to grip the bars correctly and safely operate a twist throttle. i know riding aggressively offroad, i would not be comfortable with anything that interfered with my grip, and i think i like my thumb helping to hold on to the bars when i wheelie-drop through g-outs in the dezert at 55mph.

Thanks Velo, I especially liked the whole retard comment. Thats some great feedback and I can only hope that someday I can gain all the vast skill and knowledge that you have apparently acquired.

I did not start this thread to bash on quads I have a utility quad myself and I wouldn't do without one. I just had a question about something that I thought might help my riding, I thought that was why TT existed.

I personnaly would not even consider this. When I raced quads motocross, I fitted a twist throttle to my machine. About 1/2 of the pro quad guys use a twist. For me the control over jumps and through the whoops was much easier while maintaining a good grip. Not to mention, when I snowmobile my thumb gets tired. I feel all (bikes, quads, snowmobiles and jetskis) should have a twist - but that is me.

Velo, never pass up a chance to get your digs in, do ya? Someday you'll need a quad to evacuate your butt out of a bad area after crashing your brains out...

Thumb throttles were designed by Honda because of the extreme body positioning (compared to a motorcycle) needed to control the ATC. Given the almost total lack of rider participation on the big utility quads though, a case could be made that there's no need for the thumber on them.

My friend loves his thumb throttle, saying that it gives more precise control of the throttle. I've seen dirtbikes with thumbers before, and of course ATV's with twisters. Whatever floats your boat.

I always thought that the thumb throttle was because you have to turn your bars a lot more on a quad since you can lean. I don't know how many of you have turned a quads bars the whole way to the right, but in that situation a twist throttle would be uncomfortable and hard to control.

I always thought that the thumb throttle was because you have to turn your bars a lot more on a quad since you can lean. I don't know how many of you have turned a quads bars the whole way to the right, but in that situation a twist throttle would be uncomfortable and hard to control.

that makes sense now that you explained it clearly. i was thinking it was more the problem of quad guys being such dorks that they would get bumped backwards and yank a real throttle wide-open and kill themselves. your explanation makes at least as much sense tho.

question tho, why do so many of the quad racers put on twist throttles? are they not having to turn the bars as much on mx courses or something? or are they having the same kind of concern i had, about having a full grip on the bars (including thumb) on rough terrain and jumps and stuff like that?

-mark

p.s. unfortunately i rarely ride somewhere a quad can reach (see my spodefest pics in ktmtalks ride reports forum), so if i get hurt i'm going to have to get myself out w/o help from a quad.

A thumb clutch? You must be out of your mind, your thumb would be killed in a matter of minutes.

I disagree. I ride with one finger on the front brake, and one finger on the clutch ALL THE TIME. Watch David Knight ride...oh ,wait, isn't he a trials rider too? My thumb is much stronger than my index finger, and I get by just fine with that presently.

Look at the variety of control options available for Rekluse users. I think alternative and optional control layouts will see a big surge in popularity in the near future.

that makes sense now that you explained it clearly. i was thinking it was more the problem of quad guys being such dorks that they would get bumped backwards and yank a real throttle wide-open and kill themselves. your explanation makes at least as much sense tho.

question tho, why do so many of the quad racers put on twist throttles? are they not having to turn the bars as much on mx courses or something? or are they having the same kind of concern i had, about having a full grip on the bars (including thumb) on rough terrain and jumps and stuff like that?

-mark

p.s. unfortunately i rarely ride somewhere a quad can reach (see my spodefest pics in ktmtalks ride reports forum), so if i get hurt i'm going to have to get myself out w/o help from a quad.

Mostly it's due to personal preference. I haven't found a thumber to be a problem over rough terrain, but back when I first started riding quads I considered using a twist. Now that I've switched back to bikes, I don't have the desire to use a thumb on the bike though.

The dork part applies to the average idiot that happens to be on 4 wheels. Most of the guys that race quads are a lot like most of the guys that race bikes- wearing safety gear, responsible, drinking AFTER the race, etc.

The dork part applies to the average idiot that happens to be on 4 wheels. Most of the guys that race quads are a lot like most of the guys that race bikes- wearing safety gear, responsible, drinking AFTER the race, etc.

and it *seems* like most of those guys prefer twist throttles, but i don't really know for sure since i don't really hang with that crowd.

why do you guys argue? are we here to bash quads or complain about motorcycles? give a polite answer to a question. everyone here is looking for help. if you dont have anthing good to say then keep it to your damn self. i dont care if your bike can go places that quads cant. i dont care if you go around a corner with your quad faster than a bike. just because racers or the fool down the street does something in a certain way doesnt mean that its right. if you alter your quad or bike in a certain way and it makes you happy or comfortable, then i guess its the right thing to do. dont let other people that blindly follow what others do because they want to do whats in or whats popular sway your judgement. i dont care if you like thumb throttle or twist so much that you even adapt either one to your car. do what you like.