Sign in to follow this  

my first ktm. need help

Hey guys,

i have been riding street bikes for about 6 years. and i think it is time for me to get a street legal motard. i have been looking at the 640 LC4 smc. is it worth paying a lot extra and getting a new one or search forever and try to find a used one? If i do find a used one for sale, what are some of the things to look for on the bike? like problems that i should avoid. I have had all Honda street bikes so i am a little worried about buying ktm, i guess its because i don't know a lot about them. thanks guys

The first thing you have to decide in my opinion is how long you want to keep the bike. If you have plans to keep it for a few years, buy a brand new one. If not search for an used but in good condition. There are plenty around! This bike is very reliable and easy to maintain and the parts are in general of excellent quality. Engine is built to last minimum 40k miles if well maintained. One hint: look for leaks in general, from engine to forks and rear suspension - this is one of the best way to see how well treated the bike was before you get it. Good luck!

I ended up finding an immaculate mint 2002 LC4E (enduro) with 3K for $3,400. Wheels, tires and tubes were another $1,000 - exhaust $500. Awesome bike for a total of $5G. I've ridden sport bikes for the last 20 years - this thing is the most fun I've had on 2 wheels in a long time. Matter of fact - I still have 2 sport bikes in my garage - a Yamaha and a Triumph Daytona - I haven't rode them much this summer cause I can't keep off the KTM.

Anyway - new is great - but if you look around, you can find a mint barely used one. A LC4 SM will be tougher to find but a standard LC4 would be easy. Tires and wheels are obviously the most expensive part, then re-gearing and re-jet should be next - exhaust can wait. Brakes weren't an issue for me - my E model came standard with a 310mm front rotor which proves to be more than enough for an occasional stoppie or two.

Good Luck

The KTM won't let you down- but expectations are another thing. Coming from Honda Street bikes you may find vibration an issue...but this also varies between individial LC4's (crazy I know). If you do go new, it takes a few 1000km's to settle down. There have been great specials on SM LC4's here in Australia recently, trying to move last year's shipments..but you guys probably have quite a different market over there. Good luck.