Sign in to follow this  

First bike for my son

I am the proud owner of a new CRF450X and absolutely love it so far. The deal I had to cut with my wife for the new bike was to get one for my son. He is 13, about 5'5 and 120 lbs. This will be his first bike and he has no riding experience. We ride trails, no mx. Whatever I get, I expect to move up once he gets some experience and grows a little more. The question: Would you recommend a 150F or 230F as his first bike to learn on? I'm a little concerned that the 230F might have too much power for him as a first bike. Any opinions would be appreciated.

if you get a crf150 and hes only 13, he will definately grow into the bike really fast. im 15 years old, about 5'8 and ride a crf150. its a really good bike to learn on and its fun. its also very reliable. the crf230 is a good bike but its really long and heavy. overall you should get a crf150 and get a new pipe and it will be plenty for him until he needs a bigger bike.

I'm 14, 5'6, 110 pounds. Yes I am a skinny kid lol. I jumped from a 2000 XR80 to a 2004 CRF150 because I didn't think I could handle it. Two days after owning the bike I started to get bored with the power. If I had to jump from an 80 to a bigger bike, I would defiantly take the 230. If you do decide to get a 150 and he gets bored of the power, you can easily upgrade it.

hey im 16 and my first bike was a 225 at 12 get him the 230 he might get a little scared of it at first but he will have the extra power if he needs it to get up a hill or lift the front cause of a log or rut

i now ride a 2003 drz 400e

get him the 230

My 13 yr old at 170# outgrew his real quick because he is an avid freestyle BMX rider, so he thinks. But in 8 months he could really move to a 250. So if your son has NO fear as my knuckleheaded boy does a 230 might be the best shot. If he will most likely be a trail putter then the 150 would be a great bike.

With any luck he will be a trail putter, it will save you some grey hair like I have gotten watching my kid.

I have a 230 and a 13 year old sister... I'll see if she can ride it and report back. :-D

For learning on, the 150 would be a better choice as it's not as top heavy and a little easier to handle. The resale value on both bike is great so if you want to upgrade later you won't lose much. My son who's a total rookie likes my wifes 150 over my 230 but I'm sure later on he will take my 230 (I hope).

stick with the 230 as soon as you by the 150 he will grow out of it and ull end up buying another one. the stock power isnt great on both as long as you keep the silenser in once he becomes more experenicend take out the silencer snorker and jet and their is a huge defferince :thumbsup: .

While the WRs are great bikes, a rider that is 5'5" tall would have a devil of a time with the WR250 seat height of 38". If I was going to buy a bike for this kid I'd get a TTR125, CRF150, or maybe a 85cc 2-stroke. At age 13 it certainly won't be his last bike. I'd get one that will be a friendly learner, has good resale, and then get more serious once you know where he is headed.

yea get an 85cc 2-stroke... its i think in between a 150 and 230 for seat height and its got obivously more power then both but make sure as it is his first bike he can clutch good becuz you'll need to clutch a 2-stroke more then a 4-stroke to keep the power up

also some makes you can get a large wheel 85 and kawasaki even has a 100 (2-stroke) that you might be interested in, but if its 4-stroke that you want then i'd have to say a 150 would be a good choice for a beginner

i would get the 230 for learning on....not a 2 stroke. my first bike was an 03XR100 and i was 5'2" at the time.....i had a growth spurt and outgrew it quickly. i ended up getting a 230 the following year before i made my jump to a 250F.....the bike is heavy and long but if he is used to picking up a 237 pound bike, his next bike should be no trouble to pick up!! also a 230 has electric start. chances are he will be stalling it a lot at first and having to kick over the 150 is a hassle......my 250 is easier to kick over! the 230 has full sized wheels and is a perfect beginners bike if he is 5'5" and he wont get as bored with the power as he would with a 150....the bike has enough power to get where you want to go but not enough for him to sit him on his a** his first time driving it.......

get him a cr125 he will get used to it or you can get a cr250 and never need to buy him anything bigger again

get him a cr125 he will get used to it or you can get a cr250 and never need to buy him anything bigger again

A CR 250 as a starter bike for a 13 year old just learning to ride. Are you stupid? He wants his kid to ride not die.

A CR 250 as a starter bike for a 13 year old just learning to ride. Are you stupid? He wants his kid to ride not die.

exactly what i was thinking