Sign in to follow this  

Wr450 Fork Seals

My fork seals on my 05 wr450 are leaking. I plan on changing them this weekend. I will probably just borrow the oil leveler and the fork seal installer. Anyways, my question is should toss in the extra money for the synergy seals or does MSR make good seals or is there some other brand I'm missing. Im also thinking about the seal savers. Any help would be appreciated.

MSR oil seals are pretty good. these seals come from All Balls and have a balanced 3 lip design.

Definitely worth a try.

I would use the Synergy Seals. The double lip or even tripple lip seals are stiffer and don't move back and forward with the fork and small particles of dirt get between the lips and cause a dirt bridge which allows oil to leak out, and more dirt to get in. The Synergy Seals are more flexible and move back and forward when the fork hits bumps and don't build up dirt between the double or tripple lips. You will get alot less leaks with the Synergy Seals. :thumbsup:

I would use the Synergy Seals. The double lip or even tripple lip seals are stiffer and don't move back and forward with the fork and small particles of dirt get between the lips and cause a dirt bridge which allows oil to leak out, and more dirt to get in. The Synergy Seals are more flexible and move back and forward when the fork hits bumps and don't build up dirt between the double or tripple lips. You will get alot less leaks with the Synergy Seals. :ride:

I'll 2nd that.... :thumbsup:

Plus there is a lot less stiction with the Synergy Seals.

doc

yesterday me and my friend drove down to dicks racing and talked to them about it. They said just go with stock. They also said that the synergy seals may not leak, but they do allow dirt to go inside the forks. So I will just go with stock.

and small particles of dirt get between the lips

isn't that the case anyways?

where should the dirt go otherwise? finally it sticks somewhere between oil- and dust seal.

We are testing the seals since months under (partially) extreme conditions and are very pleased with the quality.

Even stiction seems to be very good, i.e. little.

So based on our experience i cannot second what you're saying.

yesterday me and my friend drove down to dicks racing and talked to them about it. They said just go with stock. They also said that the synergy seals may not leak, but they do allow dirt to go inside the forks. So I will just go with stock.

WOW. Thats a first time I have ever heard that in 4 years of developing the seals.

Sometimes shops do not use Synergy Seals because they work too good and customers don't have to return more often because of bad seals...this helps them with money...using OEM or aftermarket OEM seals that is!

the cool fact about Synergy Seals is that you can take them out over and over again and re-use them for fork servicing. I have had the same set in my bike for 2 years now and I tear my forks apart every 3 rides for adjustments and R&D of internal components.

This MIGHT happen if you are not running wipers, oh, and the OEM wipers are loose, so you need to cut off 3/4" off the spring. 1/4" is not enough...at all.

KaBooM

I dont know much about forks which is why I went for a second opinion. I may just try to use the MSR stuff but havent decided.

Well, I have tried the K&S brand last friday= leaked first ride :thumbsup:

I then tried the MSR brand on tuesday and rode last nite=leaked....I am pissed now!

James

Dirt between the seals lips is the most common cause of fork seals leaking. Once that dirt bridge builds up between the lips and the seals are leaking, even more dirt is attracted to the seal region and gets pulled into the fork. Most people leave fork oil changes way beyond when the oil should be changed. Fork oil should be changed every 30-50 hours, more if your racing/riding hard or in mud, less often if you only play ride.

Well. I finally got it. I got setup with some synergy seals and they are working great. I was pretty frustrated with the whole seal thing. these seals look trick, nothing like I have seen before.

I recieved them quickly too...only a couple dayz.

Well I am going riding...now that I can.

James