Sign in to follow this  

What is the best trailer hitch bike carrier out there?

Believe me, I've done a lot of searching and I want to make sure I get the best in both quality and price.

1) I like the MotoJack Rack, but I am worried about the height being too tall, meaning that it won't be low enough to allow me to pick up my 330lb beast and I don't really feel comfortable using one of their drop hitch adapters.

2) I like the Ultimate MX hauler, but again I am worried about the height and I read an article where the support pin sheered off and the bike got ran over after it fell off. Not good, not good at all.

3) I saw the "addabike", I like it but I am worried about the long term reliability of an aluminum carrier. I heard they fatigue after a while.

Could someone point me to trailer hitch bike carrier that they have used and comes highly recommended? I know many will say to use a standard trailer, but I don't want the hassles and I really don't have the room for it.

Thanks in advance...

Keep riding...

If you only have a Class III hitch watch the tongue weight when using a hitch hauler type. IIRC there are two tongue weight ratings for Class III hitches. Say for this example you have one rated for 400 lbs of tongue weight. IIRC this means 400lbs at 12", which is where the standard ball is. If your hitch carrier is at 24" then the tongue weight you can carry is cut in half, making it 200lbs. Not good if you have a 300lb bike.

I have the versa-haul dual bike carrier and have used it many times. (www.versahaul.com) I have hauled my drz plus a xr80 at the same time. It's sitting in storage now because I bought a pickup. When I used it, it worked well. I was always worried about the tie down breaking and seeing my bike flop down the highway. But they never failed. It seems to be well made.

I did not buy the ramps but I would if I started using it again.

Sarge Industries

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/product_p/si-450.htm

We starting selling this carrier about 4 years ago. It was designed by a AA off-road rider who happens to be employed building those high-end luxury buses you see the stars in, in consultation with his brother, a mechanical engineer. The unit is built right, with awesome welds and high grade bolts.

The carrier is light (under 50lbs.), strong and very stable. I've personally logged well over 5,000 miles w/ mine and not a care, concern or glitch.

It will handle any dirtbike, even desert bikes with 6+ gallon tanks and tons of aftermarket accessories.

It comes with a anti-sway hitch pin that takes all the play out of the stinger and receiver. So, any movement is limited to your straps and with two staps up front and a ratchet strap over the rear tire, unless you lose a strap, the bike is not coming off.

Also, the main channel is wide enough a 150 rear and 120 front supermoto tires.

Make sure to scroll down on the product page for customer reviews.

:thumbsup: on the Sarge. I personally think this was the best money I've spent since getting my DRZS. We hauled it from NC to PA and back (so I could use the bike for work while my family used the Jeep Grand Cherokee). Strong, stable, light, and I got a lot of inquiries on it while traveling.

I also use it to haul things I don't want to put in the back of my Jeep, like gasoline and propane bottles to fill.

I bought this one, it's the best I've seen and used. A friend has the Versahauler, it's real heavy and solid, a good product. But more expensive and much heavier than the aluminum Sarge. I first bought

this one, it's just not that solid feeling. But very convienent.

Buy the Sarge from the TT store. Nice rack!! :thumbsup:

Check out my review there. :ride:

Does the Sarge come with a ramp?

It kinda looks like it has one in the pics ... but nothing in the verbage and i can't tell for sure.

Thanks

From the Sarge Website:

All Carriers come standard with anti-movement hitch pin and a 48" loading ramp that stores easily on the carrier's frame with two 1/4 turn fasteners.

I think, in the pictures, the ramp is shown just to the rear of the tire channel in it's stowed position.

Buy the Sarge from the TT store. Nice rack!! :thumbsup:

I didn't realize the Sarge carrier was a female...I'll have to look closer! :applause:

Go With The Versahaul Single Carrier With The Ramp $379 . I Use Mine To Transport My 2 Drzs Long Distances And Its Real Solid And Comes Wiyh An Anti Bounce Bracket.

I have the motojack rack and it is on a tall truck - Ram 2500 4x4 with 2 inch lift and 34 inch tires. It lowers just fine for mounting the bike - I don't have to lift a thing.

When you order it let them know your hitch height and they can fab it different - I do not use a drop hitch.