Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha TTR125L vs Kawasaki KX125

Hi all, just probing from some input. My son currently rides a Yamaha TTR125L, He's now looking for something better, especially suspension wise. He wants to get a Kawasaki KX125. Wants to stay in the 125cc engine size. I have a TTR250 which he has ridden, but he doesn't care for the weight of my bike. (by the way, He has no problem whatsoever handling the 250) Most of our riding is trail with a lot of rocks (Tower city). I know that we will be getting a used one since they are out of production (I worked as a yamaha 2-stroke mechanic for a few years in the 70's, so I'm not afraid of wrenching it) His concern is the power band of a two stroke. Anyone care to comment on the KX125 as a trial bike in fairly rocky conditions? We've heard good things about the KX125 & I figure that we can pick one up for under 2 grand. Any other recommendations for a "mild" power band 125 2-stroke? Thanks!

Rich 2005 TTR250

Jesse 2003 TTR125L

I dont believe the KX would be suitable for your type of riding. The KX is made for the track. It doesnt have enough down low to go through rocks.

you can always gear it down, add a flywheel weight, differnty pipe. thers lots of things you can do for it. My whole riding group rides only two stroke, and we only do hill climbs, trails, and single tracking. No one rides a four stroke. There 3 cr250s and 2 125s. I would say go for it. Its true that 125s lack bottom end, but its correctable, but not fixable. Although mods will improve what your looking for, he will still have to learn good clutch control, if hes going to be on a 125. Go for it! i got my very first bike and it was a 00 cr125. i had never even sat on a bike before, and i learned on it! i would recommend it, he'll like it. braaaaaap! :thumbsup:

My riding buddy has a '99 KX125. Everything on it is stock. It seems to do fine on any terrain. It has a lot of midrange power. The only problem with it is large hills with little traction. The rear tire spins uncontrollably and you have to go real slow. I guess a flywheel weight or different sprockets could fix this.

I learned to ride on this bike, and honestly it taught me a lot. I learned throttle control and lots of clutch control. When I got an XR250 I was able to go much faster. Riding the KX taught me when and how to use power off-road.

Oh, and the KX125 has been very reliable, at least for my friend. He's never had to do a top-end and has just done routine maintenance on it.

The KX can work on trail but it is all rider....so a begginer ride can't just be good at trail riding on a KX125. I ride my KX125 trail riding all the time and do fine. Infact I do better than some poeple that are on 400's...anyways the point is that it sounds like your kid wants to get into MX. Or maybe I'm wrong but I say get him a KX100. They make a good trail/mx bike and they are just as fast as a kx125.

The KX can work on trail but it is all rider....so a begginer ride can't just be good at trail riding on a KX125. I ride my KX125 trail riding all the time and do fine. Infact I do better than some poeple that are on 400's...anyways the point is that it sounds like your kid wants to get into MX. Or maybe I'm wrong but I say get him a KX100. They make a good trail/mx bike and they are just as fast as a kx125.

I agree with this post. As a matter of fact, I happen to have a VERY nice 2003 KX100 that I am trying to sell. Let me know if you're interested.

DO NOT BUY A 100! Your kid has the right idea to buy a used 125. Are they the best trail bikes? No. Do they do a decent job of being a trail bike? I say, yes. I am also a person who has ridden a 125 in the mountains. There is very little terrain that will be impossible for the 125. There have been many posts on here from people discussing how their skill has increased because they bought a bike with a good motor and suspension. I think that a few months after you buy a 125, your son will be added to that list.

are you saying that the kx100 doesnt have good suspension? i learned to rid on an 85, which has the pretty much same suspension. w/o learingin to ride on that bike i wouldnt be half the rider i am today, he'll get use to the 20stroke performance and they can still be bored out and stuff. id say there a great bike, exspecially for trails, and there suspension is 100 times better than a ttr. also a 100 has a more mellow powerband so its one less thing to worry about for him.

you can always gear it down, add a flywheel weight, differnty pipe. thers lots of things you can do for it. My whole riding group rides only two stroke, and we only do hill climbs, trails, and single tracking. No one rides a four stroke. There 3 cr250s and 2 125s. I would say go for it. Its true that 125s lack bottom end, but its correctable, but not fixable. Although mods will improve what your looking for, he will still have to learn good clutch control, if hes going to be on a 125. Go for it! i got my very first bike and it was a 00 cr125. i had never even sat on a bike before, and i learned on it! i would recommend it, he'll like it. braaaaaap! :thumbsup:

i agree....diff sprockets and fww will take care of bottom end...there a couple of 125's in my group and they do just fine on the trail, in the desert they lag behind, but on your coast you don't have to worry about desert :ride:

The 125 is a great bike, it's just challenging on the tighter, slow speed stuff. Have you considered a KDX200/220? Not quite as light as the 125, but still quite light, and designed for lower speed, technical riding.

Guys, using the clutch to control a pipey 125 is exactly his son's problem. He's coming from a TTR, so I'd guarantee you that he's used to being lazy (no offense) and letting the 4-stroke lug him through some stuff. Now granted, it WOULD be good for him to learn clutch control and throttle control. But if you go that direction, you can't just throw him out on the trails on the 125. He's gonna HAVE to get some good seat time on it to learn thte powerband and how to control it before you hit the trails. Otherwise, he's gonna get frustrated in a hurry. And frustration will make it impossible for him to enjoy himself, which is what you're going for.

i have a ttr125l right now, and i was acturally thinking of getting a KX125 too, i have heard alot of good stuff about them