Sign in to follow this  

Revation about loud exhaust systems

The old saying

It ain't the size of the boat it is the motion of the ocean

The "average" man (which most of us are) will throw that out all day long when talking about bedroom activities. However, that same guy then goes out and purchases the largest, loudest exhaust for his dirtbike claiming he needs it for better performance. If it is technique and conditioning in the bedroom that makes you good why wouldn't the same rule apply to dirtbike riding?

Get better at it and you won't need a larger exhaust. :thumbsup:

Feel free to flame me

I agree too that too certain degree.. what is quite now lets just say 92 dbs will be loud here in a couple years there never will be a satisfied person . It's going too get worse and worse over the next few years. There just trying too cut out bikes all together and there slowly doing it.

I agree 100%. I remember a few months ago, some 19 year old who claimed he needed the extra power his loud-ass pipe gave him. I politely told him that I doubted anyone on this board could ever hope to use all the power any stone-stock 450 put out. He went ballistic, claiming he did need the power and that his 450 was actually holding him back when it was stock. We went back and forth for abit but I realized he hadn't been through the land closures most of us have, or the pissed neighbors, or the spendy sound tickets. Most likely he was a back of the pack, fully stickered up goon with no talent at all that lived for the new MX magazines with their plethora of ads promising speed if you'd only buy their miracle product. I'm 44, out of shape and ride a stone stock '02 CRF450 and I like nothing more than beating those type of guys at the local practice track. Makes a guy feel young again...

Might be true of an MX track. Almost everywhere else I disagree. You need all the power you can get when you use all the speed a bike can muster...as in SM or flat out across a desert floor.

Since my bike is plated...I'm not limited to sanctioned riding areas. Closings have never been an issue anywhere I have ridden...but then I am not from California...probably one of the most oppressive states in the union. You guys let your greenies get out of control. You should never conceed with them...as it leads to other concesions.

On the other hand...when I am going into the woods...I stick the restrictor back in the pipe...because in those areas...speed is not my concern...and no reason to give anybody something extra to bitch about.

Plenty of idiots drinking and riding off the trails and making a general nuiscance of themselves. My pipe is the least offensive issue in my estimation.

I'm convinced that trying to satisfy some greenie by making a silent motorcycle is futile to say the least. They don't give a shit if the thing is loud. Its an excuse to hate the people that partake of the action regardless of what they're doing.

How much noise does a mountain bike make? Or a damn horse for that matter? Not much, but those are being thrown out of the same places we were thrown out of 10-20 years ago too now.

Noise is a pretext, nothing more. You've got a better chance at getting Osam Bin Laden to embrace Israel as his mother country than getting greenies to OK quiet motorcycles anywhere they think a butter fly or a damn squirrel may live with in a 100 miles. Shit, sitting here thinking about it, I think Islamic fascism is more forgiving than the Sierra Club or Earth First or one of those Nazi worshiping groups...

I'm convinced that trying to satisfy some greenie by making a silent motorcycle is futile to say the least. They don't give a shit if the thing is loud. Its an excuse to hate the people that partake of the action regardless of what they're doing.

How much noise does a mountain bike make? Or a damn horse for that matter? Not much, but those are being thrown out of the same places we were thrown out of 10-20 years ago too now.

Noise is a pretext, nothing more. You've got a better chance at getting Osam Bin Laden to embrace Israel as his mother country than getting greenies to OK quiet motorcycles anywhere they think a butter fly or a damn squirrel may live with in a 100 miles. Shit, sitting here thinking about it, I think Islamic fascism is more forgiving than the Sierra Club or Earth First or one of those Nazi worshiping groups...

:thumbsup:

Exactly right!

I think putting on an aftermarket system that is louder to gain power doesn't really help, but if you put on a quieter system you will notice power loss. And its not peak horsepower that matters that much, its the way power is delivered. With a quieter than stock pipe you lose throttle response and low end power. At least that is how it is with a 250f, I'm not sure about 450s but I would think that would also be true. If you put a quiet pipe on a 250f it will make your bike slower.

And we won't ever be able to satisfy these greenie groups unless we all stop riding.

Yosh Ti System w/ Carbon Silencer:

100 db in race trim (1-2 db quiter than stock)

93.6 db in trail trim.

In "Race" set-up it makes a bit more torque at mid rpm and makes almost 2 more on top and revs a bit longer...so...

It works for me across the board!

Besides, I'm worth it!

2 hp is 5% in crease in power on a bike making 40Hp.

IF you need speed....it matters.

Like I said, 99% of the people with load pipes for that extra 1 or 2 hp can't even use it. 5% makes it sound better... but were still talking about a horsepower or 2. Whether it's 5% or 20% of a bikes total power makes no differnece, it's still only 1 hp. And like TeamGreen said about his hotted up bike.... that extra hp is usually only available wide open throttle coming close to redline. There aren't too many people with enough skill or balls to ride like that. And IF you're one of the exceptionaly gifted few who can ride like that.... maybe if they were all missing that 1 hp no one would care. It's not like the racing is going to suck if your bike has 40hp instead of 42.

All of the after market silencer/pipe tests you read about in the magazines show an improvement of maybe 2 or 3 horsepower over stock and cost at least $350 or more. I would rather spend that cash on suspension or other after market goodies like barkbusters and a skidplate. Or maybe some neat stickers. Those make a difference.

Like I said, 99% of the people with load pipes for that extra 1 or 2 hp can't even use it. 5% makes it sound better... but were still talking about a horsepower or 2. Whether it's 5% or 20% of a bikes total power makes no differnece, it's still only 1 hp. And like TeamGreen said about his hotted up bike.... that extra hp is usually only available wide open throttle coming close to redline. There aren't too many people with enough skill or balls to ride like that. And IF you're one of the exceptionaly gifted few who can ride like that.... maybe if they were all missing that 1 hp no one would care. It's not like the racing is going to suck if your bike has 40hp instead of 42.

99% of going around in circles at the MX track perhaps...but not everywhere else.

And you will notice a sizeable decrease in throttle response if you quiet it back down b plugging up the exhaust. The difference is accross the board.

I agree 100%. I remember a few months ago, some 19 year old who claimed he needed the extra power his loud-ass pipe gave him. I politely told him that I doubted anyone on this board could ever hope to use all the power any stone-stock 450 put out. He went ballistic, claiming he did need the power and that his 450 was actually holding him back when it was stock. We went back and forth for abit but I realized he hadn't been through the land closures most of us have, or the pissed neighbors, or the spendy sound tickets. Most likely he was a back of the pack, fully stickered up goon with no talent at all that lived for the new MX magazines with their plethora of ads promising speed if you'd only buy their miracle product. I'm 44, out of shape and ride a stone stock '02 CRF450 and I like nothing more than beating those type of guys at the local practice track. Makes a guy feel young again...

:thumbsup::ride::applause::applause::applause:

The old saying

It ain't the size of the boat it is the motion of the ocean

The "average" man (which most of us are) will throw that out all day long when talking about bedroom activities. However, that same guy then goes out and purchases the largest, loudest exhaust for his dirtbike claiming he needs it for better performance. If it is technique and conditioning in the bedroom that makes you good why wouldn't the same rule apply to dirtbike riding?

Get better at it and you won't need a larger exhaust. :thumbsup:

Feel free to flame me

Why dont you put your new helmet cam on and show your technique and conditioning in the bedroom. I know that will make most of us ride faster. :ride:

And its not peak horsepower that matters that much, its the way power is delivered.

EXACTLY. I just got a DRD race pipe for my bike. Sure it is a little louder but the power is so much friendlier. When I would ride on the street with the stock pipe on I would spin anytime I gave it more than 1/2 throttle. Now with the DRD pipe it doesnt spin it just pulls. So once again, I know I will never really use the extra 2 hp BUT I will use the more linear powerband.

Its been stated many a time. This pipe issue is so beaten to death. People dont buy pipes because they are loud or because they add two top end hp. They buy them because they change the way the power is delivered so they can use the bikes power better. HP DOESNT MATTER, its the area under the curve that counts, thats why people buy pipes. Furthermore, if everyone all of a sudden got pipes that made thier bikes 50dbs it wouldnt make a damn difference. The big thing then would be soil erosion and plant life being destroyed. If its not loud then its too dusty, if its not dusty then its endangering things. It will always be something and loud pipes arent the cause of our sports dwindling riding areas.