Sign in to follow this  

Shifting the XR80

As you may or may not have read I just bought my son a 1996 Xr 80 and it has a really hard clutch to pull.Now he can pull it in to start and stop but gets arm pump when he's riding.Is it okay to shift these bike without the clutch ?

Maybe try fixing his clutch... Start by lubing the cables, then if that doesn't work, open it up and see what you find.

YES it can be shifted with the clutch. But get rid of the stock perches and levers asap.

What do you replace the stock perches and levers with, I just got a 2004 CRF 80 for my son and he has a hard time with the clutch lever pull.

I used CR85 clutch lever/perch and a klx110 brake lever/perch. For an adult the cr85 perch is great, but it still might be a little too much for a little tike. So many people opt for the MSR easy clutch puller. There are a ton of posts on levers, try a search and you'll find all the info you need.

I tried the CR85 perch and handle.It helped but it's still too stiff for him.I have ordered a Moose easy pull system.Why can't you shift an XR without the clutch?

Any motorcycle can be shifted without the clutch, what matters is if the kids are letting off the gas when shifting occures. If not you will have a crash boxed tranny that will not last long. My son got his CRF 80 yesterday, after about 20 minutes he was using the clutch to start and stop, I taught him to not use the clutch when shifting, he is doing great.

Duster,

We had the same problem on my daughter's XR80. One of the posters from this forum suggested the MSR Pro Raptor adjustable clutch. There are three positions for mounting the cable increasing the pull leverage. We bought the levers and a new cable and let me you, this thing works wonders. None of the other tricks, i.e. lubing cables etc. worked. It is amazing Honda would even put such a difficult pull clutch on a beginners kid bike.

Below is a website showing an example.

http://www.mxdeals.com/assembly-lever-clutch-adjustable-raptor-msr.html

Good luck