Sign in to follow this  

Rotella Oil

I live in Canada and I went to Wal-Mart today to pick up some Rotella 100% synthetic oil simply because many TT'ers recommended it. I looked for quite some time trying to find it and didnt find shit. The only 10W 40 oil they carried was the castrol motorcycle oil. I own a 1999 TTR 250 and I'd like to start buying oil in bulk instead of wasting 10$ a pop every oil change. Whats the deal?? Only american Wal-Marts carry it..maybe?

The Rotella synthetic will most likely be in gallons, and 15w40 in weight. It's not usually near the regular motor oil, but by the antifreeze and other bulk lubes, ask your friendly wallyworld employee.

The Rotella synthetic will most likely be in gallons, and 15w40 in weight. It's not usually near the regular motor oil, but by the antifreeze and other bulk lubes, ask your friendly wallyworld employee.

Do they have the synthetic in 15W-40? I've only found 5W-40 in the synthetic and 15W-40 for the dino oil.

I usually get the rotella T, which is semi syn

I usually get the rotella T, which is semi syn

Rotella T 15-40 in the white jug, black cap, and blue label is regular dino oil.

The synthetic is available in 15-40 in gallons, maybe your Wal-Mart doesn't stock it.

If youre going to be leaving the oil in there for any amount of time, Im not sure I would recommend rotella. I use it and the reason is because after every day of riding I change my oil. If youre not going to hold a strict oil change schedule you should probably pay for a good quality synth. motorcycle oil.

If youre going to be leaving the oil in there for any amount of time, Im not sure I would recommend rotella. I use it and the reason is because after every day of riding I change my oil. If youre not going to hold a strict oil change schedule you should probably pay for a good quality synth. motorcycle oil.

This is incorrect. The Rotella actually holds up better than the more expensive synthetics. It's made for diesel trucks under tremendous loads. It stays cleaner longer as well. I trust the Rotella more than Amsoil. That's why I put Rotella in my bike even when I've got a case of Amsoil 10w40 MCF sitting in the corner of my garage.

Rotella and other deisel oils work well because of the cleaning agents in the oil. Truck motors make a lot of soot and the oil helps keep it from "gumming" up the inside of the motor. Although our bikes dont make soot, they do have clutch "ash" floating around in there and this oil helps keep it clean. Rotella is a brand of Shell oil and it comes in most all type including Sae 30w, 40w, 10w30, 10w40, 5w40, 15w40, ect. It is in conventional (dino) form and also in synthetic. It is also available in every quantity from quart, pails, drums, and bulk.

I work for Shell and we make alot of Rotella in the Portland area.

Jay

I use Shell Syn. 5w40 in my diesel truck and I get it at Walmart in the US, dont know about Canada. It is with the other HD oils; Mobil, Castrol and Rotella and Rotella Syn. The syn. is in a blue gallon jug.

Gook luck.

What weight and viscosity of the shell rotella T do you guys recommend ?

I've been using Rotella in my bikes all year. I thought the Rotella T stuff was the stuff to get, but now I'm confused. Should we be using the synthetic Rotella oil only?

FWIW, I haven't had any issues.

you should be careful .rotella is a very good oil for most automotive applications and especially heavyduty diesel engines.it is not however motorcycle oil .this oil was not meant to be run in a transmission or at really high rpm.the reason being in a trans it just doesnt have the shear stength to protect the gear faces and allows the hardfacing to wear prematurely where the gears mesh.as far as the rpm thing goes this oil was designed to work well in an engine that turns between 2000 to 3000 rpm.IMO you should run what the manufacturer recommends or a quality synthetic motorcycle oil.from the problems i've seen myself this just seems to be the best policy.

you should be careful .rotella is a very good oil for most automotive applications and especially heavyduty diesel engines.it is not however motorcycle oil .this oil was not meant to be run in a transmission or at really high rpm.the reason being in a trans it just doesnt have the shear stength to protect the gear faces and allows the hardfacing to wear prematurely where the gears mesh.as far as the rpm thing goes this oil was designed to work well in an engine that turns between 2000 to 3000 rpm.IMO you should run what the manufacturer recommends or a quality synthetic motorcycle oil.from the problems i've seen myself this just seems to be the best policy.

where's the chemist kelstr when you need him.. Rotella dino will last longer then just about anything out there including synthetic oil ...

not again...

This is incorrect. The Rotella actually holds up better than the more expensive synthetics. It's made for diesel trucks under tremendous loads. It stays cleaner longer as well. I trust the Rotella more than Amsoil. That's why I put Rotella in my bike even when I've got a case of Amsoil 10w40 MCF sitting in the corner of my garage.

There is where you are way wrong. Diesel trucks run at much lower rpm and isn't designed for transmission with wet clutch usage. Competition motorcycle engines run very hot, turn high rpms, and will shear down cheap oils pretty quickly. Motorcycle competition engines put out way more power per CC than any diesel and is under far more load and stress.

Actually the formulation is being changed from the stuff that everyone had been using , so the jury is still out on whether this is what you should put in your motorcycle. I suggest sticking with a JASO MA rated oil. I prefer a 100% synthetic motorcycle oil with a JASO MA rating like Maxima Extra.

IMO,

Dwight :thumbsup:

where's the chemist kelstr when you need him.. Rotella dino will last longer then just about anything out there including synthetic oil ...

Wrong :thumbsup:

Dwight

There is where you are way wrong. Diesel trucks run at much lower rpm and isn't designed for transmission with wet clutch usage. Competition motorcycle engines run very hot, turn high rpms, and will shear down cheap oils pretty quickly. Motorcycle competition engines put out way more power per CC than any diesel and is under far more load and stress.

Actually the formulation is being changed from the stuff that everyone had been using , so the jury is still out on whether this is what you should put in your motorcycle. I suggest sticking with a JASO MA rated oil. I prefer a 100% synthetic motorcycle oil with a JASO MA rating like Maxima Extra.

IMO,

Dwight :applause:

Rotella,, Cheap oil :ride: ,,not hardly!! They sell Sooo much of it, they can afford sell it inexpensively, Cheap and inexpensive is WAY different kid!

Try going up the Grapevine, or Donner Summit weighing 80,000 lbs and tell me a truck doesn't get hot! Try driving through Palm Springs, Ca- Phoenix, AZ- and Las Cruces, Nm in July weighing 80,000 lbs and tell me your motor isn't being TAXED! Trucks often go for a week or two in the summer without ever being shut off once!! That my friend takes a Great oil to be put through that kind of torture,, not to mention they change the oil every 10,000 to 15,000 miles. Plus 90% of the trucks on the road will see 1,000,000+ ( Yes 1 Million Plus) miles and more before a rebuilt or retiring.. I think Rotella will work just fine.

For what its worth ,, my bikes ( 05 CRF 450R & 01 CR 250R) shift better with the white bottle better than the blue, and its a little cheaper. Thats a no brainer for me as to which one to get! :thumbsup: I do however run the blue 5-40w in the coldest winter months in the motor side only..

My Detroit Diesel puts way more strain on the crank and rod bearings at its rated 485 hp at the wheels pulling 80k down the highway than any bike will ever produce, and the temps in the turbo bearings run in excess of 500F and much higher during hard pulls. Sounds like pretty intense conditions to me. :thumbsup:

The new formula (CJ-4) is already available, the old one (CI-4) will be available until 2010. The new formula has lower ash content and higher shear resistance.

http://www.rotella.com/qa/answerresult.php?rowid=169

http://www.rotella.com/qa/answerresult.php?rowid=205

Rotella admits that their ash content in the old formula is 1.47%, while most bike manufacturers reccomend ash content be under 1.2%.