Sign in to follow this  

Bare bones CRF450X street legal mods?

I just sold my soul on a new 05 450X and it was well worth it... I love it so far. :thumbsup: I would like to get it licensed so I can ride on forest service roads, gravel county roads, and from my house to my riding area (about 1 mi.... sorry folks!). I have no intention of riding it on the pavement. Anyway, given my current finances... or lack thereof... I don't really want to buy an Acerbis conversion kit. Do you have any recommendations for some way to do it cheaper? In UT, I just need a brakelight, headlight, horn and mirror... no blinkers. I was thinking about the LED tail light/brake light with the hydraulic brake switch available from CRFs Only. What do I need to do for the horn and the headlight? Any serious electrical mods required?

I just sold my soul on a new 05 450X and it was well worth it... I love it so far. :thumbsup: I would like to get it licensed so I can ride on forest service roads, gravel county roads, and from my house to my riding area (about 1 mi.... sorry folks!). I have no intention of riding it on the pavement. Anyway, given my current finances... or lack thereof... I don't really want to buy an Acerbis conversion kit. Do you have any recommendations for some way to do it cheaper? In UT, I just need a brakelight, headlight, horn and mirror... no blinkers. I was thinking about the LED tail light/brake light with the hydraulic brake switch available from CRFs Only. What do I need to do for the horn and the headlight? Any serious electrical mods required?

In case you are not aware, be sure and run at least one full quart in the tranny. A friend has an 05X that is street legal. He was going down a mountain road in 5th gear and the tranny locked up. There are many threads on TT that deal with this issue. Check it out.

In case you are not aware, be sure and run at least one full quart in the tranny. A friend has an 05X that is street legal. He was going down a mountain road in 5th gear and the tranny locked up. There are many threads on TT that deal with this issue. Check it out.

Break in the motor with hard, short runs to seat the rings.

Change the oil after 50 miles. There will be manufacturing remnants of metal, fiber, and dirt, that you want to remove. BEFORE YOU RIDE IT AT ALL, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE PLENTY OF OIL IN THE ENGINE AND TRANNY, AS DEALERS ARE FLAKY ABOUT THIS; DON'T TRUST THAT THEY DID IT RIGHT. One qt in the tranny for sure.

Dual sport on the cheap: www.fourstrokesonly.com

Talk to Andrew, he will get you going.

Dude on Ebay sells a bare bones kit for 135.00. It has the Baja Designs LED tail/brake light, switch, horn, and all the wiring pre measured with connectors already in place plus ranger proof directions. I bought it for my '05 450X and it took about 10 minutes to install.